• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is rooting?

I've seen this around the internet a lot. And some apps I want to download or try to download require your phone to be "rooted". I've seen that your able to do almost anything with your phone. Is this true? Basically, can someone explain to me in detail what it is to root your phone while being rooted, and is it safe to do. And how do you root your phone, if I decided I would want to do this? I have a Samsung Fascinate if it makes a difference. Thank you to those of you who help to answer my question, in advanced!

Rooting is basically granting yourself super user access to the phone. With it, you can install custom ROMs (alternative software), overclock to increase performance, underclock to increase your battery life, backup your data etc. It generally gives you more control over what you can do to your phone. There's an article here: What is Rooting on Android? The Advantages and Disadvantages | Droid Lessons which details what it is and what you can do in a little more detail.

What apps were you trying to install exactly?

Upvote 0
Not sure about specifics for your phone, but generally you can unroot.

If you're unsure, I'd say leave as is, but if there are certain apps you 100% want and you need root for them, then by all means go for it.

The Fascinate has its own root forum if you want to take a look at how it's done: Fascinate - All Things Root - Android Forums

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
It's more like getting admin rights to your phone. Additional customability is an added benefit of having complete control. But you can also block ads, make backups of your favorite apps. Back up your entire phone. Restrict app access to certain permissions. You can also overclock or underclock your CPU (to get more performance or more battery life). And more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones