1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What is seamax and how can I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Gail M Gurman, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Gail M Gurman

Gail M Gurman Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2019
    My phone is an ANS UL40, running Android 7.1.1.

A couple of weeks ago, I started noticing that every time I turn on my phone or wake it up, the first thing on the screen is a page trying to get me to play/buy a game, with some ad for something medical or age-related (I'm 55). When I close it, I then see my usual wake-up screen.

The name on the app is "seamax" but I can't find that in my app list. And when I google "seamax" all I find is websites for airplanes and boats.

Clearly this is some kind of spam and/or virus. How can I get rid of it?

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    It's most likely being pushed to your phone by an app. Had you installed anything right before this started happening? By chance to you have the Peel remote app on your phone? this is notorious for lockscreen spam -- a practice which Google is trying to eliminate.

3. Gail M Gurman

Gail M Gurman Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2019
    I don't know what, if anything, I installed at the time this started. I definitely don't have Peel though.

There's been a change today, which I assume is related. I have a notification from an app called BackService, which wants me to play a game called Combine Block. And it's the kind of notification (like "New Voicemail") that I can't get rid of. When I try to wipe it off the list, it just gives me the gear symbol. (Okay, I just realized I could select "Block notifications" and that made it go away. But still...it's an app I didn't install.)

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    If you go into Settings > Apps is that app there? If so you can uninstall it.

Then the question would be how it got there. Apps cannot install themselves, so either it is something you installed or else you installed something that has the privilege to install other apps. That is, if this thing is an app itself rather than the name of a plugin or ad service used by an app you did install.

(Note that apps can be ok when installed and then misbehave after an update. Peel is an example of this: the advertising lockscreen only appeared after an update to the app.)

lunatic59 likes this.
  5. Gail M Gurman

Gail M Gurman Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2019
    Thanks Hadron! I hadn't thought to look there, but sure enough, both seamax and BackService were there and I was able to uninstall them. So presumably the problem is solved. I'll update if anything new happens.

lunatic59 and Dannydet like this.