• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is Sprint's BASIC WARRANTY on the EVO?

MisterEd

Android Expert
Apr 15, 2010
1) What is the standard Sprint warranty WITHOUT purchasing the TEP or ESRP or ERP on the EVO?

2) If the phone needs service (not lost or stolen, or wet) just if it dies and needs warranty service what is the difference if you have the "standard" included free warranty and what you would get if you pay the $4 for the ESRP? Do you get it replaced/repaired faster with ESRP vs "standard" warranty?

I understand the advantages of the ERP just not ESRP vs "included" warranty.

It has always been 1 year if its a manufacturing defect. They send you a referb. Accidental or lost isnt covered by that obviously

yep 1 yr. manufacture's warranty is basic. so even if it is done thru sprint, HTC would have to shell out for manufacture defects. I think sprint insurance is the next step up where sprint would cover.

OK, a 1 year standard warranty is included at no charge. Got that. Thank you. So now I decide to pay the $4 for the ESRP (that's the SERVICE policy NOT the replacement if lost, stolen, or drowned policy). What do I get that I don't get under the free 1 year warranty for my $4 x 12 = $48 ? There must be some advantage for giving them $4/month. Or not?

Upvote 0
What you get is the ability to basically extend the manufacturer one year warranty beyond the first year for as long as you choose. The trick is you have to pay for it that first year with no real benefits beyond what is the manufacturer warranty.

Aha! There you go. That's exactly how I see it. So basically it pays to ONLY take the ERP (replacement for lost, stolen, damaged, drowned etc) plan since I only plan on keeping the device for 1 year because "standard free" warranty is good for the first year + the $4 ERP add-on. I haven't kept a phone more than a year in years and I'm sure this will be no different. Instant $36 savings.

Upvote 0
no. it means they'll charge you for the repair if it's at fault damage and you don't have insurance.

And if it's lost or stolen, I think they require a police report. I know I had to do that once.

We're not talking about the "if it's your fault" part of the warranty, ONLY the basic standard "phone failed due to electrical problems or due to mfg defects" type of problem. That's included free for the 1st year. There is no reason to pay extra for that because it's already covered for free for 1 year.

You are able to purchase ONLY the "if it is your fault" warranty by itself WITHOUT purchasing the "mfg defect" warranty.

Upvote 0
no. it means they'll charge you for the repair if it's at fault damage and you don't have insurance.

And if it's lost or stolen, I think they require a police report. I know I had to do that once.

It depends on the technician and the circumstances. But in many instances, yo are correct. If you do not have TEP and your phone is deemed "accidentally" damaged they will repair an EVO for 119. Many will turn you away for liquid damage though.

Upvote 0
It depends on the technician and the circumstances. But in many instances, yo are correct. If you do not have TEP and your phone is deemed "accidentally" damaged they will repair an EVO for 119. Many will turn you away for liquid damage though.
You don't need TEP ($7) only ERP ($4) for that situation. Especially during the first year.

Reactions: mcnutty
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones