1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What is the benefit of formatting your SD Card?

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by KaskaA, Jun 6, 2011.

1. KaskaA

KaskaA Guest
    None
    I am curious as to what is the benefit of formatting your SD Card. What does it do? Why would you do it? And if your were to do it, and you copied all of your files onto your PC, formatted, and then copied them right back, would that make a difference?

Advertisement

blaqueknight likes this.
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    If you had a file on there that was causing problems, then copying to PC, formatting, then copying back would really make no difference at all.

Sometimes, it's good to start from a clean slate, and a format should only really be used as a last resort (like a factory reset on the handset itself).

blaqueknight likes this.
  3. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    I think formatting your SD card may help if the file system on the card gets corrupted. Sometimes it just helps to start with a clean slate.

I don't do it often, but I usually don't have many issues with my SD cards either. Knock on wood.

4. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    I only format the cards I come across in my buying and selling...its like an sd card factory reset

5. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Same as formatting anything else. If the media isn't formatted you can't use it until it's formatted. If it is formatted and has stuff on it you'll have a clean slate to start from.

Not if the card is working properly to begin with.

6. bitsybobsy

bitsybobsy Member
    None

I think there are a few reasons formatting is done, first being file system compatibility and second two really remove data from your memory. I think if the card is working properly, there is no need to format anything unless u want to securely remove information. Copying to elsewhere and formatting it then copying it back would either clean the files that are still in the memory(although u can't see it) or fixing corrupted file system

blaqueknight likes this.