1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What is the best 2.1 ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by grindboy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

Ok just flashed the vilain rom, and straight away I prefer it, quicker and nicer to look at, dont get me wrong Props to Stickman Sensehero is very useable, for me after 5 mins with Vilian i prefer it

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. phillevy

phillevy Android Enthusiast

Is is just cosmetic or are there other reasons that you prefer it?

3. phillevy

The plot thickens as Stickman is about to release a major update and he says a wipe won't be neccessary.

4. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

It runs smoother, its deffo quicker,keyboard lag is much better.

5. phillevy

double post - I think the forum needs an update - it's very buggy at the moment:thinking:

6. phillevy

I think I will hold on for Stickman's update before I try Villain

7. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

I keep getting database errors when i try and load the forum, its all gone wrong since Lekky became a Mod.... :-D

8. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

To be fair, if you install the same keyboard villain uses (not the buggy skinned one) to sensehero it runs at normal speed again.

9. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

Im not dissing the Sense Rom I just prefer the Vill one

10. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah I know, just thought I'd point it out though since we're comparing ROMs after all :)

11. phillevy

In any case Stickman says that keyboard lag has been fixed in the update.

12. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

Im undecided if I actually love or loathe the Skin on Sensehero

13. rustynuts

rustynuts Well-Known Member

Took the plunge last night using the goldcard method and installed the sense Rom from above don't know if I got unlucky but really struggd when trying to sync the people app with facebook sorted now and all is good:)

14. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Sensehero v2 is out and my main gripes with the skin have been removed (the icons), but Villain 5.3 kitchen with livewallpapers (and even Jit at some point) is here too. Decisions, decisions.....

15. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Android Enthusiast

No competition there lol :p

flash flash flash it !

16. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

I probably will as soon as they release 5.3 + JIT, which should be

17. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

just flashing 5.3 Maybe HTC should just get this Rom and release it as their own

18. nomnompie

nomnompie Well-Known Member

I have to ask... does the music player on these have an equalizer? I heard one of the motorola devices got an EQ when it was updated to 2.1 but I haven't heard anything about any other phone.

*edit* well I just looked at the Villian 5.3 notes and I'm kind of confused... the thread here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=654030

was posted in march and people talk about no wifi or accelerometer working... but those replies are also old... did the guy just update the post after the bugs were fixed? I really don't want to flash something with bugs lol. I use wifi all day when I am at work.

19. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Android Enthusiast

the reason those things are said is because Nprussell (the developer) uses the same thread he has created a few months ago when he released a previous Villian ROM etc...

So when a new ROM is released he just updates the FRONT PAGE with new info... it helps provide continuity and presence on the forum .. so those bugs or problems were related to a previous older ROM he released.. just look @ the date these comments were posted...

Everything works 110% dont worry. it is said to be better than any 2.1 rom htc will release for the hero.

Also, there is no equaliser.. some ROMs on other phone like you mentioned do have equalisers.. the HTC Desire has Dolby mobile.. so theres no need for an equaliser there.. but I agree we need one..

20. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah, practically as soon as the leaked rom got into nprussel's hands he released it to the public. Those comments are about the rom with 0 work done on it.

21. nomnompie

nomnompie Well-Known Member

So even the "mms issue" it lists is gone?

I saw a comparison that looks like Villain 5.3 has broken MMS and Google Nav...

Sorry to be a noob but I'm just confused. Do I want 5.2 or 5.3?

(edit) sorry, I posted this in a different, more on topic thread I believe.. but I can't delete this post, so sorry for the double post.

22. Hordriss

Hordriss Well-Known Member

I've flashed both SenseHero and Villain 5.3, and I definitely prefer Villain out of the two of them so far.

Villain runs faster and smoother, plus I prefer the original Hero theme it uses over SenseHero's theme.

I would like to say though that I'm not dissing SenseHero, as it is a damned good effort. It's just fantastic having this choice of firmware in a handset, which you can't get with Non-Android phones. I'm relatively new to Android having only had my Hero a month or so, but I think it is just a fantastic OS.

23. rustynuts

I have just spent my first day as a newbie to custom roms setting up sensehero 2. 1 on my g2. Spent all day setting everything up now you guys are tempting me to try this 5. 3 Rom. Lol you buggers. If I want to try it is it just a case of going to recovery wiping then flashing the new Rom.

24. Hordriss

Hordriss Well-Known Member

Yep:-

- Boot to recovery screen
    - Nandroid backup
    - Wipe
    - Flash the new rom (put it in the root of your SD card like previously).
    - Reboot the phone (takes a little while)

Job done.

25. rustynuts

Ok cheers may as well give it a go then thanks

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews