1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What is the best 2.1 ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by grindboy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. rustynuts

rustynuts Well-Known Member

cant remember, do i have to format the sd card again or does this all take place when i do the wipe in the recovery menu sorry if i sound a little dumb lol just wondered about all the photos i put back on the card they are on my pc but just wondered.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hordriss

Hordriss Well-Known Member

To be honest, I'm not sure. I actually used a brand new card when I flashed the Villain rom as I invested in a 4GB card to replace the 2GB card which came with the phone. I wanted to utilise the app2sd ability, so thought it would be wise to invest in a bigger card.

3. rustynuts

i only ask this as im sure the recovery image was created on the sd card and if i format it first will i still be able to access the root menu, god im confusing myself now lol i have been so careful from the start ie creating goldcard etc i dont want to get it wrong on my second attempt lol

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Don't format the SD card, no need. The recovery image is stored on your phone though, for future reference.

You only need to 'wipe' the sd card if you're installing apps on there, and even then you only wipe the Ext partition, not the part of the SD card where all the files are stored.

5. Omama

Omama Lurker

hi,
    this is my first post to the forum and i have read lot of tutorials on how to root the phone but not many of them talk about t-mobile g2 touch, i know its the same as hero but i am a bit confused. i have read on theunlockr.com that i have to have downgrade to certain rom ( 1.76.110.6 RUU). i am planning to upgrade it to villainrom 5.3 or 5.2. if i upgrade i think i would i lose my t-mobile apn settings but is there way to bring it back?
    also when htc finally decides to release the official upgrade for hero will i bee able to go back to it ?
    can some direct me to which process i should take for rooting my phone.
    phone : t-mobile g2 touch
    firmware : 1.5
    build number : 2.73.110.26
    thank you in advance
    Oma

6. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

5.3 contains a huge apn database, your settings should be fine. Follow the thread at the top of this forum for Root instructions.

Yes you wil be able to use the official rom when released.

7. Omama

Omama Lurker

ok thank you very much. finally i will have 2.1 , i am starting to hate htc but i think i kind of understand their business plans. dont blame them. every1 is pretty much after money now days.. oh well.

8. rustynuts

I was in the same boat as you two days ago Now im running villains 5.3 I would read through the guide a couple of times then go for it just follow the guides carefully and you will be fine

9. grindboy

grindboy Newbie

Wow! Looks like I hit a nerve with this thread. Certainly didn't expect 56 responses! I've ended up with Villain 5.2. I tried one of the Stock 2.1 roms and found it to be really slow. I also missed sense (Which I didn't expect).

The Villain ROM is quick and clean and I've even started using the WiFi tethering with my iPod Touch!

Am I right in thinking that I can upgrade to the 5.3 ROM without a wipe meaning that my phone book, photos, apps, backgrounds and settings will be saved?

Many Thanks

Grindboy

10. phillevy

phillevy Android Enthusiast

Well after playing with SenseHero version 2.1 and updating it to v2 yesterday I decided it was just too laggy - everything was taking a few seconds to launch - in fact I think version 1 was faster for me. Also the novelty of everything in black began to wear off. This morning I wiped and flashed Villain 5.3 and this is where I'm staying for the time being. It's smooth and easy on my eyes and everything I need works so far. I think Stickman is doing an amazing job with his ROM considering he is working by himself, but at the moment SenseHero is not for me.

11. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

5.3 gets lag like that if you dont have Task killer set to auto and auto killer set (i use aggressive), keeps the phone nice and smooth

12. tojjer

tojjer Android Enthusiast

Blimey, not sure if it's my imagination, but this villain5.3 seems to eat the battery up in no time !

13. rustynuts

Same as but at the moment putting that down to the fact I havent put it down yet, remember this happening when I first got my hero.

14. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

Exactly, Im constantly playing with mine again...Looking for new stuff etc,

I love pressing the message button and my sms inbox opens without delay, I do it just for the fun of it ;-p

15. tojjer

Also getting " SU request" coming up a lot and freezing the phone up. Have to hit the HOME button to get it working again. Any ideas how to stop that?

16. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

when you get an SU request select Allow always

17. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Go to the settings (Settings >> Applications >> Development) and enable USB debugging. The SU request means an app is trying to get root access, and you need to allow it. But for some reason USB debugging has to be on before you can see the option to allow.

18. tojjer

Can't find anywhere to select " allow "
    debugging is ticked

19. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Hmm... I'm not sure then. The debugging thing has always seemed to work :thinking:

20. tojjer

Ok, for some reason, I just tried Titaium backup again and it asked me this time to allow.
    Kinda weird, all I did was untick the debugging then re-tick.
    modern technology eh !!

21. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

When I get a SU request I have to allow/allow always/deny/deny always

22. rustynuts

Just wondered I'm now on villains 5.3 when I'm replying on the forum the keyboard seems a bit laggy but en writing a text or updating Facebook it seems more responsive, anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

23. tojjer

What I was getting was "su request" up near the notifications bar, the whole screen was black as if it was working to open something but never actually opened anything. Working now so reckon it was the debugging thing

24. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

Yep mines the same, really laggy in this window, texting is fine though

25. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah, it's trying to open the SuperUser Permissions app.

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews