• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is the best anti-virus app?

I've been using Avast (partly for its separate anti-theft module) but there is some debate over the usefulness of antivirus. If you want to learn about it, I'd recommend that you check out THIS recent thread, including reading the linked articles. After participating in that discussion, I came to the following conclusion (which is posted in the latter part of the thread).

Antivirus apps are:
1) Worthless for anybody on Android 4.2 or greater. Otherwise...
2) Of very little value for people who eat out of the Play Store or Amazon Store or perhaps occasionally side-load an app from a trusted source.
3) Moderately useful for those who download cracked apps, etc.

So for me (category #2 above) I'm probably getting very little value but Avast is free and it doesn't seem to bog down the performance of my phone so I'll probably keep using it unless I run out of storage space or it causes problems.

Upvote 0
Nothing's perfect. You have to think a little when you download.

This past weekend: a fake BlackBerry Messenger has appeared on Google Play and fooled hundreds of thousands before it was taken down.
Fake BBM Android app fools thousands, Google pulls it | CNET UK

Also....(never download from any place other than the Play Store or Amazon in my opinion):
issues that popup from time to time. Many of these issues appear outside of the Play Store and will only be grabbed by those installing an APK file from a less than reputable site.
Android Defender Platinum app will hold your phone ransom - Android Community

Upvote 0
I’ve had Avast AV and Comodo Firewall on my XP PC for years and I don’t think they’ve caught anything. But I have plenty of hard drive and RAM to run them so I figure I might as well keep them.

But on a droid, where data space is at a premium, I take the ‘don’t think they caught anything’ theory and reverse it. In over two years, I’ve never had AV on mine and never needed it, just paid attention.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones