• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is the best battery saver app?

Upvote 0
Don't use any battery saver app, they use more battery power than they save.
Ordinarily I'd agree, but SetCPU works on a different principle. It throttles back the CPU speed according to profiles you set. Normally, my Infuse 4g runs at 1200MHz processor speed 100% of the time. I have a profile set to throttle it to min/max 400/1200 as needed, when the screen is off. Most of the time, it will coast along at 1/3 speed (400MHz), but if there is an incoming call, text, or email, it jumps up to 1200MHz. You can also set profiles for in-call, temp >, battery <, charging, time of day, etc. I've done controlled benchmark testing, and it definitely gives back more battery than it takes to run itself.

Upvote 0
Ordinarily I'd agree, but SetCPU works on a different principle. It throttles back the CPU speed according to profiles you set. Normally, my Infuse 4g runs at 1200MHz processor speed 100% of the time. I have a profile set to throttle it to min/max 400/1200 as needed, when the screen is off. Most of the time, it will coast along at 1/3 speed (400MHz), but if there is an incoming call, text, or email, it jumps up to 1200MHz. You can also set profiles for in-call, temp >, battery <, charging, time of day, etc. I've done controlled benchmark testing, and it definitely gives back more battery than it takes to run itself.

Ok, but that is completely different from a battery saver app. SetCPU requires rooting your phone, plus it relates to the CPU, not killing annoying programs.

Upvote 0
Ok, but that is completely different from a battery saver app. SetCPU requires rooting your phone, plus it relates to the CPU, not killing annoying programs.
The title of this thread is, "What is the best battery saver app?". SetCPU saves battery. The OP never said anything about "annoying programs" or limiting answers to solutions that didn't require root.

Upvote 0
The title of this thread is, "What is the best battery saver app?". SetCPU saves battery. The OP never said anything about "annoying programs" or limiting answers to solutions that didn't require root.

There actually is a big difference, as there are battery saver apps that are labeled as such. SetCPU saves the battery, but is a root-required superuser app, not a one click download battery saving app that I believe the OP is talking about.

Upvote 0
I found this somewhere for SetCPU give it a try =)

SetCPU.apk
Download a file from ShareCash.org? I don't think so!

It can be obtained legitimately from the developer (for free) here. Scroll to the bottom of post #1 and grab the latest version. The links are updated in the post as new versions are released.

Reactions: amlothi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones