• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what is the best firewall

I am very new to Android, still waiting for my first Android phone to be delivered to me, so I am researching to find out what apps are considered necessary/essential/useful/fun.

Is a firewall (and/or) anti-virus software necessary for the Android OS? I have read some articles and posts that seem to indicate that as long as you use common sense while on the Internet and elsewhere, you shouldn't have to worry about malware, etc. (Of course, I imagine it is only a matter of time before the nasty folks out there decide that Android devices would make a great new target...)

There seem to be lots of security apps available, though, so in your experience, are they necessary, or just something to give you peace of mind?

Holly

Upvote 0
Hi Holly, and welcome to AF :)

This discussion comes up a lot - you'll find many threads on it in this forum. Most people here will tell you that an AV app is not necessary provided you apply a little care in what apps you install, but if it provides some peace of mind then by all means install one. This thread is worth reading: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html.

Firewalls, as you'll have seen in this thread, generally require the phone to be rooted. Again I would not say that they are necessary, but it's a matter of personal preference.

Reactions: Advait and OakIris
Upvote 0
Hi Holly, and welcome to AF :)

This discussion comes up a lot - you'll find many threads on it in this forum. Most people here will tell you that an AV app is not necessary provided you apply a little care in what apps you install, but if it provides some peace of mind then by all means install one. This thread is worth reading: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html.

Firewalls, as you'll have seen in this thread, generally require the phone to be rooted. Again I would not say that they are necessary, but it's a matter of personal preference.

Thank you, Hadron, for your welcome and for your information. I will read the thread you linked - and do a better job of searching here (I really did do a Google search, but obviously failed to do a proper search here on the forums.) :eek:

I will probably hold off on getting any security software for my phone unless I read something that persuades me differently.

I have never rooted a phone but the instructions seem pretty clear (with help to be had here as well) and the benefits seem appealing, so I imagine I will be doing so in the future. Some of the apps I hope to eventually get (ok, that I will probably get soon :p ) require that the phone be rooted. Someday I may even get venturous enough to install a custom ROM.

Holly

Upvote 0
Don't be embarrassed about failing to find something here - not a problem at all. I have the advantage of having seen these discussions as they happen, rather than having to search for them. :)

I do actually have a security app on my phone, but mainly because the phone location features might some day come in handy (though I hope not! I really installed it because my wife wanted that feature on her phone, and I thought I may as well set it up on mine too).

I'm sure the people here will be happy to help and advise with rooting - that's certainly what I found when I joined. :)

Upvote 0
I haven't yet made my way totally through the thread you linked, Hadron, but there is LOTS of very good information there. The things I read about Permissions has me a bit spooked; I still need to finish looking at all the categories, but, wow, there are a lot of things you need to pay attention to.

I was looking for a good weather app and found one on Google Play that seemed a possibility - lots of positive reviews, etc. But then I read the app's permissions.... Why would a weather/clock app need access to the contacts on my phone and additionally be able to find out how many times a contact had been called/texted/emailed, etc., in order to give me an accurate weather forecast??? That makes no sense to me. :thinking:

I see that I will need to tread with care!

Holly

Reactions: ipersian
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones