• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What is the best ROM and Kernel

Shantomanto

Oct 3, 2010
Ive used Cm6 and had some homescreen lag issues so i tried liquid frozen yogurt 1.6 and i love it. i ran the slayher kernel and it seemed to be doing just fine. it is snappy and battery life is better than CM6. I also tried simply stunning v4.8. I really like SS a lottt but with the chevy kernel my battery life was absolutly terrible. I don't know why that was so i switched back to Liquid froyo 1.6 and my battery life is a lot better now.

Does anyone know about UD extreme 8? ive heard good things but i just wanted to know a little bit more about it. So basically my question is what do you guys think the best ROM and kernels are for performance and battery.

Thank you

As far as this issue goes, opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one. Most of us are happy to recommend something to try, but hesitant to declare anything as "THE BEST" without making it clear that it's our subjective opinion.

That said:
My two favorite ROMs are UD8 and the new Miui ROM out of China (that's what I'm using now).

My CURRENT favorite kernel is ChevyNo1's ULV 1.2 GHz , but it depends on which ROM I'm using.

Upvote 0
Quick answer: Low voltage and ULV kernels allow for longer battery life by sending less juice from the battery to the CPU. I didn't used to be able to use some of the older ULV kernels but the newer ones work great for me. Just try to have a handful of kernels installed on your SD card so if you run into a boot loop you can quickly flash a different kernel in recovery.

Here's a link to Chevy's latest:
Index of /froyo/kernels2

Upvote 0
Right now I am in between UD8 with the Watermarked theme and Charity. They are both smooth and fast. Charity seems a bit smoother and faster but by how much is pretty subjective. UD8 with the watermaked theme is just plain nice to look at and use. I have tried lots of kernels and keep coming back to the Slayher 1.6 kernals and the 1000lv. I like where the slots are and it just seems faster and smoother than anything else I have tried. UD8 with the stock kernel works very well also. I have tried the ulv kernels on a number of roms and I just can't get them to work on a consistant basis but every phone is different. There are plenty of options out there, you just have to try a few and see what you like and what works best on your phone.
I have also had good luck with the plain FRG22 Deodexed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones