• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What is the best ROM for battery life?

ChristianTW

Apr 16, 2012
So I have been on Liberty since I got my phone, (Like, pretty much literally, I bought it on Craigslist with Liberty 3 v2.0 preinstalled) and I kind of want to mix it up a bit, I read that Liberty is pretty much the best ROM for battery life, but is there any others with decent battery life that are not Liberty?

And what is the best ICS ROM for battery life? I am a heavy phone user, constantly making calls, texting, or searching the web and so battery life is kind of a must have.

If you are that hard core of user I dont think you will like any of the ICS offerings when it comes to battery life. Ive used pretty much all of them and they just dont hold a candle to the battery life of Liberty. Apex RC 4 was probably the best at holding a charge IM0 but its hard to compare Apex and Liberty feature wise. Ive read that turning off wifi is one way to make ICS roms last a bit longer. I pretty much only use wifi as I work from home and it is much faster that way. Im most likely sticking to Liberty until July when the 2 years are up and I get free again.

But... half the fun of all this phone stuff is flashing this or that rom and seeing what its like yourself. It only take a short time to restore things back to where you were so have at it.

Upvote 0
basically everything the guy said above me is true. and i hear velocity has great life on it too. and you may want to change the cpu governer with boostedassv2 it saves so much battery life. also get an extened battery. i have a 3200mah one and with all the stuff above i have 80% and its only been 6 hrs and thats on ics imagine the other roms mentioned above.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I kinda figured I wouldn't be getting that good of battery life on an ICS ROM, however, I would still like to run one for maybe a day. I just need to know which ROM has the best battery life for an ICS ROM. I pretty much never use WiFi anyway, so that wouldn't be too big of an issue.

I tried ApeX and it gets pretty good battery like, but honestly it just is not very appealing to me. It is too plain and feels too much like stock.

I guess I should just mess around with a few different ROMs, maybe this weekend I will just spend my time trying out new ones and see which one fits my style the best.

Upvote 0
For ICS, the latest MIUI ICS gives me very acceptable battery life. I'm at 75% battery after 6hr 41m of on time and 57m of screen on time consisting of texts, ~10m of calls, browsing, and forum reading. At this rate I usually get ~4 hours of screen on time and ~25+ of battery life. I charge my phone each night, so that's plenty for me.

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDoo Voodoo
MIUI has the best battery life on ICS. While Liberty has the best battery life on GB. If your Liberty isn't giving you more than 24 hours you may just need to re install Liberty.
24 hours with heavy usage?

I have never had Liberty die in under 24 hours. Even when using my GPS for a couple of hours of travel. If you are not getting that, you may want to recalibrate your battery, and if that doesn't do it, buy one of the extended batteries off of Amazon for 10 bucks. There is an OEM BH6X I use and it still fits fine in the car accessory.

Upvote 0
I have never had Liberty die in under 24 hours. Even when using my GPS for a couple of hours of travel. If you are not getting that, you may want to recalibrate your battery, and if that doesn't do it, buy one of the extended batteries off of Amazon for 10 bucks. There is an OEM BH6X I use and it still fits fine in the car accessory.
Ahhhh...so you're using an extended battery.

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDoo Voodoo
Ahhhh...so you're using an extended battery.

Yeah, but one with only like 20% more juice. I have a BH5X and it lasts for more than a days use. There a many ways to save battery, undervolt, calibrate battery, brightness settings, sleep settings, WIFI settings, notification settings, and so forth. there is no real one size fits all approach, because everyone uses theirs differently, and heck, no two days are exactly alike. But if you just optimize most of the things I listed above, there is really no reason a DX shouldn't last all day on Liberty. I literally didn't charge mine all weekend (Sat night\Sun night - light use) and still had a little juice on my way to work Monday. If you want maximum brightness, always on WIFI, and a pounding of notifications that won't happen. But if you undervolt, and just turn on and use what you need, even a regular battery gives you a whole day easy.

Upvote 0
If your battery is about 2 years old, it's time for a new one. Anyone that has ever had a laptop, knows that you are lucky to get half the OEM battery time out of a 2 year old battery. I got my extended one for around 10 bucks. The OEM extended batteries are on Amazon right now for under 20$. I know one thing for sure, if you are having battery issues on Liberty, it's not Liberty, it's either an old corpse of a battery, and\or you need to tweak a couple of settings. My Droid X takes more pictures with my battery, than a set of fresh Energizers takes in my regular 10MP camera. That is really good for a lithium.

Upvote 0
Nobody with a Droid X has a 2-year old battery ;)

Just because the device is less than 2 months under 2 years old, doesn't mean parts of the hardware aren't. Some of the first edition batteries are a couple of months over 2 years old. If you have one of the original DXes, your half life on your battery is right about now. The question is whether you want to upgrade now, and use your upgrade on a dual-core, or would you rather pay the 10 bucks for a new battery now, and save the upgrade for the next gen phones that we should start to see this fall. Personally, with all of the ROM love the DX is getting, I'm gonna go fix the battery and wait for a real upgrade. That's just my 2 though. To each his own.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones