• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is the best SatNav/map app offline for orienteering?

Antakar

May 10, 2011
Hello All,

Maybe this subject is slightly off topic so please pardon me if it should be somewhere alse in this forum (not sure where).

I am looking for a good satnav/map application for off road walks. I would like to use this map, obviously, on GS2.

And as usually walks will take place in some remote locations without 3G i would like to have good set of detailed maps preloaded on my phones dedicated SD card.

Do you know any app worth recommendation?

Hello All,

Maybe this subject is slightly off topic so please pardon me if it should be somewhere alse in this forum (not sure where).

I am looking for a good satnav/map application for off road walks. I would like to use this map, obviously, on GS2.

And as usually walks will take place in some remote locations without 3G i would like to have good set of detailed maps preloaded on my phones dedicated SD card.

Do you know any app worth recommendation?
There are a few that will do this but one which ranks highly is Locus.
You can obtain the free version here or go for the paid version here.

Reactions: Antakar
Upvote 0
I don't know where you live so this may not be relevant to you but...

I already have a large collection of Memory Map maps of the UK so I bought MM Tracker and I can view them (set routes, waypoints etc) on my SGS2. It works very well and was a cheap option if you already have the maps.
Nice one.... I had a collection until we moved. Never found them since.
Used to use them with my PC.
Never tried the Android version.. Do you find MM Tracker limiting, especially with the new crop of GPS Off-Road Apps?

Upvote 0
Nice one.... I had a collection until we moved. Never found them since.
Used to use them with my PC.
Never tried the Android version.. Do you find MM Tracker limiting, especially with the new crop of GPS Off-Road Apps?

I use my maps for walking and climbing so I usually know where I am and where I'm going. In this situation MM Tracker does exactly what I need. I think that most mapping apps are limited by the quality of the maps themselves and that is something that the Ordnance Survey leads the world in. OS maps are of course excellent - clear and accurate. I have a full set of Landranger 1:50k maps and a lot of 1:25k for places worth walking (eg the Yorkshire National Parks - not that I'm biased ;)) so I want to make use of them.

I'm glad they don't go out of date quickly, replacing this lot would be expensive.

Upvote 0
I'm glad they don't go out of date quickly, replacing this lot would be expensive.
I know exactly what you mean..... I spent an absolute fortune compiling areas around the UK.
I had both 50 & 25 as well as National Parks and a good few others.
The only one's a managed to recover were the one's I had on my Laptop at the time and believe it or not they were for a different area I don't normally frequent so all in all, all lost forever.

The only thing that has stopped me purchasing them again is the other software titles which are more powerful.
However, as you correctly say, you do not get the same level of detail as that found in OS maps.
Okay, I could import some of the OS data into the Apps but it's an area I don't have the time to follow up on at the moment.
As such I can only go with what's currently available as a 'package' on the Android App list. :)

Upvote 0
I use my maps for walking and climbing so I usually know where I am and where I'm going. In this situation MM Tracker does exactly what I need. I think that most mapping apps are limited by the quality of the maps themselves and that is something that the Ordnance Survey leads the world in. OS maps are of course excellent - clear and accurate. I have a full set of Landranger 1:50k maps and a lot of 1:25k for places worth walking (eg the Yorkshire National Parks - not that I'm biased ;)) so I want to make use of them.

Can you give me a link to place where can i buy maps youre mentioning?
Also what format i should get maps in, you mention 1:25 and 1:50.
What is the difference and which are better to buy?

Sorry for all these lame questions but i am new to all this stuff, i am (was) loyal paper-map user and i want to change it.

Also, maybe im wanting too much, but is in MM Tracker such functionality as:
Best things to see on you planned way, some rock, viewpoint, cave etc?
Will be there any description of the caves/rocks etc with maybe some pictures associated?

You know, generally information about interesting things on your way, maybe some facts?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones