• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is the best way to play music on the Droid through your car stereo?

My 2001 Cadillac has a weird-sized stock radio. Replacing it isn't an option: I would lose some of the Bose speakers in the car and the new one wouldn't fit right.

I've had this for a few years for my ipod. It's like an FM transmitter, only it's hard-wired to the antenna. It defeats the FM signal to a set station so it sounds way better and there is very little interference. I recently hooked up an aux cable to it, so now I can listen to my droid or my ipod in the car.

harman-kardon-drive-play-hkdp1eu-p_426592vb.png

On a side note... I haven't synced the ipod in months. I use the droid for all my podcasts and my ipod has over 40 days worth of old time radio from archive.org. I'm loving the droid and downloading podcasts over-the-air.

Upvote 0
I picked up the 3.5mm to RCA adaptor cable and my JVC KDS 100 deck in my 97 Acura TL. It's got a USB front port AND an Line-In RCA input in the back. Went to Radio Shack and for $7.50, picked up the cord. The aftermarket deck required an adaptor plate which provided me with a 'shelf' under the deck because it was a dual din vs single din deck (old to new). I just had to drill a hole (not ideal but least aesthetically unappealing).

Cool side effect is when I get a call, Droid uses my car speakers to broadcast the incoming caller's voice. And the Droid's mic picks up my voice well.

I'm digging it!

Upvote 0
My car came with composite (red, white, and yellow)...is there any way I could hook it up my Droid to watch video through it (only while in park of course)?

Also, is anyone elses headphone port really sensitive? When I have my headphones plugged in, if I move the cable just a little, it stops playing music and acts as if the headphones were unplugged...

Upvote 0
I use a Jabra SP700 bluetooth speaker phone, set it to send to an empty FM station, and voila! My music plays through my speakers, and if I get a call it interrupts the music and then I hear the caller through my car speakers too!

Is this the best device on the market for this? This sounds great to us the bluetooth device to stream with the car speakers and use it for Bluetooth calling. I have a truck 01 trailblazer with no aux Jack and just cd. I am looking to stream music and take calls along with the ability to change to my work truck quickly for hours of snowplowing this winter.
In this category of bluetooth devices what are the options? Any reviews?

Upvote 0
Factory stereo on my 2008 Pontiac G6 GT. Think it's going to be the 3.5 on the front of the stereo. Just a standard 3.5 to 3.5 then? No audio adjustment like ipod cable needed?

Also looking to replace the universal car charger that Verizon gave me and replace it with one of these:

Retractable Car Charger CLA for Motorola, Nokia 8600, micro USB (RCLA078) - Motorola DROID Accessories

OEM Motorola Car Charger Vehicle Power Adapter for Motorola, Nokia 8600, micro USB, SPN5400 - Motorola DROID Accessories

the oem one is on amazon for 5 bucks. I got two.

Upvote 0
I feel real embarrassed to say this but I still have a cassette deck in my Lexus!!! It also has a 6 disc changer too! Up until last week, I NEVER had a need to use the cassette deck! I went out bought a cassette adapter and now I can either play my iPod or my Droid through my car's stereo system. It sounds good but one thing I notice, is that I have to crank the volume way up for it to sound good. I have to always remember to turn it down when I switch to the radio as the radio volume would be blasting!

Not sure why that is!

Some car radios have AUX jacks on the front of the head unit that you can just plug in your Droid.

I used to use a wireless FM transmitter called iTrip with my iPod I haven't thought to try it with my Droid yet. Maybe I will give that a shot!

Upvote 0
My car came with composite (red, white, and yellow)...is there any way I could hook it up my Droid to watch video through it (only while in park of course)?

Also, is anyone elses headphone port really sensitive? When I have my headphones plugged in, if I move the cable just a little, it stops playing music and acts as if the headphones were unplugged...

I'd like to know this to about the conposite hookups. Is this possible with an android phone?

Upvote 0
Sorry to bump up an old thread...

but my car cd player is:
Kenwood KDC-MP628 CD receiver with MP3/WMA/AAC playback at Crutchfield.com
and its about 4 years old.

I already have an ipod adapter hooked up which plugs into my ipod and plays the ipod directly through the car cd player. Its a usb type hook up, its not hooked up through the headphone jack. I was told that I need this... Scosche - 3' 3.5mm-to-RCA Cable - I3RCA35A in order to play my droid phone through my car cd player.

Is this correct?

More specifically... id like spotify and pandora to play through the stereo...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones