1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support What is the best way to protect your phone personal data?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Antakar, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Antakar

Antakar Well-Known Member
    None

May 10, 2011
    Hello ladies and gents,

Entering very long password is not too feasible every time we want to wake up the phone and check the weather.

Pattern isn't too secure.

I am looking for a method, a tool, which would make my phone secure, possibly encrypted.

Today i bought my first app in the and shop.

I didn't have to login, provide any verification data - nothing. Just click - buy.

This is a bit concerning.

Why have i put this topic under SGS2 you may ask.

It is because:
    -I have this phone
    -It has 2 cores - perfect for encrypting/decrypting.
    -I heard that with And 2.3.4 will come encryption! :D

I also read some of you already have 2.3.4. This question is for them:
    Is there device encryption implemented?
    Are there various password or security profiles?
    Is encryption taking lots of battery life?

If 2.3.4 doesn't have stuff i asked about, is there some clever way or app that could do all these things?

Advertisement

2. adamantell

adamantell Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Sales
    England
    Wanted ask same thing really, 2.3.4 is out no? Don't think has any opinions for this mind?

There is apps protect pictures that's all I can find.. So far

3. colonels

colonels Member
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    i use RR FIle Locker app

it creates an encrypted folder you move files into to encrypt

it does require decryption everytime you want to use or see the file, and if it is video over 200MB it can take over 1 minute to decrypt, but at least it is secure

as for personal info in contacts/emails i don't know

4. Antakar

Antakar Well-Known Member
    None

May 10, 2011
    What i mean/want is fully encrypted device. Allappa, files, folders, apps. J
    ust whole device. Like you can encrypt wholedrive or system partition in windows using truecrypt for example.

5. colonels

colonels Member
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    the issue with that is processing power and battery usage

fully encrypted using software would be unreasonable because you would constantly be using processing power everytime you looked up a contact or opened a message, and battery life would suffer greatly

this can be done on laptops and pc because they are usually plugged in, have oodles of power, and the processor is much faster so you hardly ever notice it happening at all

now iphone4 claimed to have a hardware encryption device which means there was a tiny little chip in the phone that encrypted stuff all the time. yes it used power but since it was a dedicated chip and was built for that purpose it was much more efficient in encryption than software using the main processor. there was also some confusion about what was encrypted and what wasn't. apple claims email, contacts, personal info only which leaves large files like pics and video and installed apps to be vulnerable. then another article says it is the whole phone. who knows?

either way the SG2 does not have a hardware based encryption chip at all, so it is only software based that you must look at.

6. kebark

kebark Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 31, 2011
    Using a short but secure password is the best. Although you might not like it the default security settings have MILLIONS of options. Using a PIN number your likiliness in being "hacked" is 1 in 10,000, using a 9 point pattern it's over 300,000, a password, although I've not done the maths is several, million. Using just 4 numbers/letters (no casing or symbols) you have over 1.6 MILLION alternatives.