• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is the device I'm looking for?

CriticalCritic

Android Expert
Nov 9, 2009
Cary, NC
Hey guys, I've been gone and off the market for a couple years. Now I'm back and looking for a new device, but I just haven't been keeping up with which manufactures make a device that ticks the checkboxes that I'm looking for. I've been researching devices for the passed couple days to no avail.

So... I'd greatly appreciate any help finding a device that fits my criteria below.

Deal Makers/Breakers:
- ROOTABLE
- Decent developer support
- At least 3gb RAM
- Expandable memory
- Screen >5"
- Can be purchased out of contact for under $500
- Current or 1 previous generation (e.g. S5 is too old)

Highly Desirable Features:
- Carrier Unlocked (planning to use on straight talk)
- Permanent home/back/menu buttons
- SAMOLED or greater
- LED flash
- IR Blaster
- LED notification light on face
- FM radio

Wiggle Room:
- Can be a refurbished model
- Brand doesn't matter

Thanks!

This?
samsung_w689_b-100050204-medium.jpeg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
EVIL! THAT WAS SO EVIL!
My hopes were so high as I scoured that page and the follow-up for pricing info. Only to find those comments on the follow-up page! DAMN IT MAN THIS IS JULY!

Ugh... But i gotta say you got me. Good one.

OK, back on topic. That Moto X Style/Pure looks like the way to go.
However... Does anyone know much about the new Moto G4 Plus? I just found a great deal on it, but the forum here is nonexistent, so the rooting side of things is a mystery to me.

Upvote 0
EVIL! THAT WAS SO EVIL!
My hopes were so high as I scoured that page and the follow-up for pricing info. Only to find those comments on the follow-up page! DAMN IT MAN THIS IS JULY!

Ugh... But i gotta say you got me. Good one.

:DSorry, I couldn't help myself. They got me good with that too. Seems like they know exactly what we want.
I found this "real" story. Possible Phablet with 6Gb RAM. You could quite possibly take over the world with such a device.

http://www.sammobile.com/2016/07/10/verizon-bound-galaxy-note-7-surfaces-on-geekbench/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones