1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root What is the difference Rooted or not Rooted ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by angelo90255, Apr 23, 2011.

1. angelo90255

angelo90255 Newbie
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    I have the samsung galaxy indulge 4g from metro pcs and i've seen many people that are Rooting the phone i don't even know what that is and what it is for ? what is the difference if its rooted or not? what can i do with it if its rooted ?

Advertisement

2. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    Rooting allows greater control over the device than what may have been originally intended by the manufacturer/service provider. Stated simply, rooting grants you administrative powers over your phone. So if anything is locked, you can most likely unlock it; delete any file you don't feel like having on your phone, manage your cpu's throughput; modify the android scheduler to fit your exact needs as opposed to the "standard"...
    Of course, due to the high level of control provided by rooting and the potential to break the phone subsequently by deleting system files or other such questionble activities, rooting more rhan likely voids your warranty for most manufacturers. Indeed, rooting your indulge effectively voids the warranty, although there are some ways around that. For that reason, it is usually recommended to think about it before attempting to root a device.

You can read more about it via: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+rooting+a+phone+mean

angelo90255 likes this.
  3. ciper

ciper Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    If you don't know what it means its very likely you don't need it :)

angelo90255 likes this.
  4. Gus3300

Gus3300 Newbie
    None

Mar 12, 2011
    Miami, FL
    rooted= a gods phone (able to do whatever you want)

unrooted= a mere mortals phone (limited by restrictions that come with the phone)

ex: By default, there is no app for a screen capture for a normal phone that will actually work because its' UI (I think that's what it's called) doesn't allow the function. By rooting the phone, you have the power to override this restriction and download an app to screen capture as you wish.

angelo90255 likes this.
  5. aus1in

aus1in Lurker
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    I dont know what Gus is talking about...but I have a mere mortal phone and I am using a program called "ScreenShot It", downloadable in the Android Market, that takes screen shots of anything on my screen...and I am not rooted...;)

6. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    Yeah, a better example would be changing logon sounds/animations...