• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories What is the fastest Class micro SD card I can use with my EVO / Epic

SHO_ONE

Android Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I own an EVO and my freind will be buying an EPIC come this Tuesday. I've noticed that with all the camera shot's I've taken that as time goes on the galery takes longer and longer to load up.... This made me think for a moment back to when the EVO was nothing more than a wish and a dream to most of us here waiting on it to just release already.... What is the fastest class micro sd card the EVO will except and honestly is it worth the money to upgrade from this class 2 card to say a class 6?

In an additional side note, does anyone have a tip on loading the galery faster? I went into my phone and created a few folders as to seperate the photo's a bit depending on when / why the pictures were taken and once I was done I loaded my galery again and found that everything still took quite a while to load.....

If I could also request that if this has been asked already / or is in the tips section for the EVO / Epic to move this and thank you. If not could this be stickied please, thanks guys!

Evo was developed with Class 2 in mind. While class 6 could make some difference, the Evo's simply not the type of device that can fully take advantage of it. Unless you're doing serious multimedia recording and uploading in 720P, I can't see class 6 being ever described as a good value until it's prices are close to class 2.

As for class 10, it was designed for true hi-def 1080P recording, editing, and playback. Evo isn't capable of 1080P so I'd consider it a true waste of money.

Write speed is what matters. Evo can barely write fast enough to exceed class 2 in most circumstances. It can just touch the capabilities of class 6. It can't utilize class 10. Read speed doesn't matter as even with class 2 read speed is several times faster than write speed. Basically, you can watch anything through at you through Evo on class 2.

Upvote 0
Evo was developed with Class 2 in mind. While class 6 could make some difference, the Evo's simply not the type of device that can fully take advantage of it. Unless you're doing serious multimedia recording and uploading in 720P, I can't see class 6 being ever described as a good value until it's prices are close to class 2.

As for class 10, it was designed for true hi-def 1080P recording, editing, and playback. Evo isn't capable of 1080P so I'd consider it a true waste of money.

Write speed is what matters. Evo can barely write fast enough to exceed class 2 in most circumstances. It can just touch the capabilities of class 6. It can't utilize class 10. Read speed doesn't matter as even with class 2 read speed is several times faster than write speed. Basically, you can watch anything through at you through Evo on class 2.

Thanks for the easy explanation Rigmaster. I've always read debates on here and other forums about the speed of the card playing a factor.

Would a class 2 card cause problems on video recording, since the EVO is limited to 30fps or does one not affect the other?

Reason I ask is I shot a video the other night (720p) and half way through the video, it just paused (audio was going, but no movement) and then the video started going a few seconds afterwards. Does that have anything to do with my having a Class 2 card or is that purely the EVO's being limited to 30fps?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones