• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is the general consensus on the HTC Desite - Good or Bad

Slight niggle: It's easy to get at the "privacy" settings, but the options there are woefully inadequate. For example, did it occur to nobody at HTC that when you demonstrate the lovely browser in this phone to someone, a tap of the search button shows a list of your previous searches - with no apparent way of clearing it? Why can't it be cleared and why is this not a Privacy matter?

I think you can clear this by opening the browser, pressing menu -> more -> settings and clearing the cache, history, etc in there (I assume going to phone settings app manager and doing a clear cache there will do something similar), and the searches that pop up when you select the text input field for search can be cleared with the "clear search history" link underneath. Not exactly intuitive though, but it does work (I just tried it and all my previous searches are gone).

Seems you can't do this with the market place searches (tried clearing cache but they're still there). I did read about an app called something like EraseHistory that would make clearing market place, browser and map searches easier, never used it though so I can't say if it's any good.

Upvote 0
the searches that pop up when you select the text input field for search can be cleared with the "clear search history" link underneath. Not exactly intuitive though, but it does work (I just tried it and all my previous searches are gone).

I don't get a "clear search history" link when I do that :(
And the menu button doesn't do anything when in this mode (Browser | Quick Search button

Upvote 0
Even with all the minor irritations this is the best phone I have had period. I think its going to be hard to find something that would provide a better experience overall even with the PC rig attitude of buying something and it being outdated it 6 months. This seems like a phone that will last for at least the sum of a contract.

My previous phone was a Samsung U900, which is like some sort of relic against modern smartphones. But the Desire is exactly what I expected while the Samsung felt clunky and outmoded as soon as I got it. Which it probably was but I think the Iphone was the only serious option at the time and only on 02.

Going to add that most people that have seen it have wanted one soon after, my girlfriend is currently on a Blackberry that seemed quite useful and we used it for the old GPS navigation but the Desire blows it away. She is now waiting until the end of the year to decide if to get one or get the next big thing.

Upvote 0
It's astonishing that Google left out cut and paste in the Gmail client!
...maybe it's to make the iPhone converts feel a little bit at home? :p

(I'm a Galaxy convert in the making; a Desire is in the mail. I'm glad that the only Bad Stuff that's being reported are rare cases of screen-dust, plus all the same battery- and Android-related issues I'm already used to.)

Upvote 0
Having had mine since March I can confidently say that it's an awesome phone and by far the best gadget I've ever owned.

Of course it's not perfect and I am getting used to constantly having to charge the battery (mainly because I can't put the phone down!) I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that the apps to sd update is done sooner rather than later.

Upvote 0
Am loving this phone! one of the best gadgets i ever had, clearly the best phone.

I didnt notice the copy paste feature not being included on the google mail app, however i only use my googlemail to receive notifications of this forum and market purchases so that isnt a big deal.

Other than that its great my previous phone an LG renoir was only good for the camera, now i have a 5mp camera instead of 8 and cant notice the difference and have all the lovely apps to play with :p

Upvote 0
I love this phone. It's such a wonderful device and has had many a tail between leg moments from certain fan boys.

Yeah its not perfect at times but the issues I have had are just little niggles which i have now sorted. I think I love android and am a convert. It's so simple yet can be so complex for you to get even more out of it, and more you can get out of it!

I can't wait for android to become more mainstream. As for HTC, I think they have cracked the smart phone market: no restrictions!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones