• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is the LG Optimus V 3G Speed?

They were probably referring to the Broadband data plans for the MiFi, which slow down after 5 gigs of use.

The phone will be on Sprints towers and will have speeds as fast or almost as fast as any other EVDO rev A phone for Sprint.

Compare it to Metro PCS's "3G" speeds, which are 1x and can't even stream audio/video. Get this phone, you won't regret it.

Upvote 0
I posted these questions on another thread but that turned into a two-way argument about something else so I'm putting it here hoping for some help. What are you using to test the speed? Do you think Android Assistant drains the battery? I do the Quick Boost and also Cache Cleaner but I'm not sure it's beneficial. My battery really seems to be pooping out quickly. I'm still learning all about apps so I wonder if I should remove some to save battery life, although I don't have any games or even use it to play music. Also, this may be silly to ask but is 3G the only option or can I choose 2 or 1 somehow? Sorry for such elementary questions and thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
My response is "how long is a piece of string." I use the Ookla speed test app. I test at my apartment in southern Ann arbor and get 300Kbps download at best. At my place of employment in western a2 I get 1Mbit and on a good day 1.6Mbit which is faster that office internet.. In Troy or farmington hills I get 1.3Mbit at worst.

In Flint 3g speed sucks. I get 350kbps at best.

It depends on which tower you're connected to and the network load. Even within the same city it could vary, see my apartment vs work results.

Also as far as the 3g being only optioon, you can force it to 1xrtt which is way slow.

Upvote 0
My response is "how long is a piece of string." I use the Ookla speed test app. I test at my apartment in southern Ann arbor and get 300Kbps download at best. At my place of employment in western a2 I get 1Mbit and on a good day 1.6Mbit which is faster that office internet.. In Troy or farmington hills I get 1.3Mbit at worst.

In Flint 3g speed sucks. I get 350kbps at best.

It depends on which tower you're connected to and the network load. Even within the same city it could vary, see my apartment vs work results.

Also as far as the 3g being only optioon, you can force it to 1xrtt which is way slow.
+1. Best I've ever managed is about 370kbps, and more often am in 150-170kbps range and on even worse days I get 56kbps dialup rates or less...

Oddly enough more often than not when doing a speedtest my upload rate is significantly higher than my down whereas it's generally the same or lower on WiFi/wired nets.

Upvote 0
3G speeds are dependent on WAY TOO MANY variables.

Mainly.

Is your tower a Single T-1 fed tower (1.5mbps max) (this is mine).

Is your tower Multiple T-1 fed? 3.1mbps is the theoretical max of EVDO (CDMA). or Fiber fed?

how many users are concurrently using the tower???????

If a few others users are on with you and they are streaming data, don't expect great data speeds.

I have managed to get 1.3mbps on my tower, and around 2.7mbps in a metro area

Upvote 0
3G speeds are dependent on WAY TOO MANY variables.

Mainly.

Is your tower a Single T-1 fed tower (1.5mbps max) (this is mine).

Is your tower Multiple T-1 fed? 3.1mbps is the theoretical max of EVDO (CDMA). or Fiber fed?

how many users are concurrently using the tower???????

If a few others users are on with you and they are streaming data, don't expect great data speeds.

I have managed to get 1.3mbps on my tower, and around 2.7mbps in a metro area
That's nice, but it's ZERO right now up/down. Anyways as to tower feeds, I'm in a major urban area with an OC-12 fibre ring(well more than that now, but...), Sprint ought to be able to do MUCH better than DS1 to towers... they were one of the major backbone players here at one time, but since I no longer work in that industry I haven't kept up, but still, this is just sad... limited by tower feeds rather than spectrum... pretty disgusting if you ask me...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones