1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What is the link between the Nexus series and Google?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pinksocking, Aug 22, 2012.

1. pinksocking

pinksocking Lurker

I've noticed that the Nexus series gets direct love from Google, it appears as they receive all the love from the when it comes to software updates.

Whats up with that? What exactly is the Nexus line? I ****ign love the phone so I'm wondering why Google takes special care for it .. even so far to sell it on their in own store!

and should we expect android 5.0 to be on our phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Wiki can help you with that:
    Google Nexus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Essentially, it's what Google uses for Android development. Each Nexus comes completely stock and generally introduces a new version of Android.
    I'd assume we'll receive 5.0. Beyond that, it's up in the air. The Nexus One didn't officially receive ICS so it will depend on what Google wants to do.
    Welcome to the forums, by the way!

3. aurora40

aurora40 Android Enthusiast

The Nexus S and N1 have been well supported, both receiving two major upgrades. I suspect the Galaxy Nexus will be as well. It's interesting that the GNex introduced both ICS and Jelly Bean. I guess that's like the N1 debuting Eclair and Froyo though. I also would think it's a reasonable certainty that the GNex will get Key Lime Pie or whatever it ends up being called.

That said, I think ICS is the real watershed for Android and devices. Since the GNex has already moved past that, I think it should be "useful" for a long time. Long in consumer electronics, that is, which is to say it should be somewhat relevant for another year or so. I suspect on the used market, people will still want them a year from now.

The Moto Xoom was also a developer device, and the first Honeycomb device, but is not a "Nexus" device. It has received several HC updates, and ICS update, and a JB update.

4. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

I'll add "Unless you're on Verizon, in which case, you'll get updates when THEY decide to get around to it". It's not as bad as SOME phones, but if you're on VZW it's still delayed a bit.

Aside from that, if you do get around to rooting your phone, you'll be able to handle whatever ROMs are made to fit ya. I never did until a week ago, and omg what was I missing! But the future remains to be seen, and the way things are going, who knows what the next Nexus phones down the road will offer! Love my GN!

Rxpert83 likes this.
  5. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone and OS were developed by both Google and Samsung engineers. (source) Notice the battery cover on the unlocked G-Nex has branding for both Google and Samsung. ;)

[​IMG]

Those in the U.S. who purchased an unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus should get 5.0 before anyone else.

6. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Add Sprint to that list as well. We get the pseudo Nexus

7. FragDroidX

FragDroidX Android Expert

Actually the Nexus 7 introduced Jelly Bean. The Galaxy Nexus and Xoom got it a couple of weeks later. I agree with the rest of your post though.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  8. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

The original poster was referring to the Nexus series, not the GNex. So seeing that the Nexus 7 was a Nexus, that part seems true as well.

9. UrsusVIIILXXXVII

UrsusVIIILXXXVII Android Enthusiast

Technically the GNex was right next to the N7 introducing Jelly Bean. All those lucky s.o.b.'s at Google I/O were given, along with the Nexus 7, a Galaxy Nexus running 4.1. I think most people, myself included, just say the Nexus 7 introduced 4.1 because it's a brand new device with a shiny new version of Android.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews