1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root What is the percentage of changes I can upgrade to CM7 from rooted Stock Rom with Rom Manager?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Modman, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Modman

Modman Android Enthusiast
    None

May 31, 2011
    Reason I'm asking is going into recovery mode, seems like a longer more complex process. And when it came to my phone it worried me. That's why I stayed with the stock froyo on my phone cause I rely on it for Phone calls and Froyo does most of what I need. So rooting the stock rom I deleted the bloat and moved most of my apps to sd. Hower with the NC it is only an reader. So to use it as a full fledged tablet I need to change the os. What I'm understanding is that if I root the stock nook OS I have to download Android market to download rom manager? Then I could if I chose download cm7 200? with rom manager and use rom manager to flash to cm7? Does this method require CWM? Or I understand I should have an extra 2 gig sd to create a CWM disk to use if rom manager fails.
    Then I would have no choice but to install CM7 through recovery mode?
    Then I have to install googles apps somehow? Not to ask another stupid question but what
    rooting app do I use to root the nook stock os?

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Yes, updating via RM is much easier than silly menus navigated via volume up/down keys and the home button. Until they finish a touch screen recovery (it's coming!), that's all we have.

Sounds like you're running stock B&N software and want to end up with CM7.

Assuming you're on B&N 1.2 or 1.3, when you run ManualNooter, Google Apps/Market (and I believe Rom Manager) will be installed for you so you could backup and update to CM7 from RM like I describe in my Q'nDirty update. BUT you need to create a bootable disk and have to run a script to Manual Nooter your Nook. (Sounds dirty, doesn't it? :D)

OTOH, to go directly from Stock to CM7 also requires the same bootable sdcard and you have a few more commands to do from CWM recovery and then you go straight to CM7.

I suspect rooting with MN and then updating to CM7 via RM is maybe a little easier/more reliable (in theory), assuming you don't need to repartition your Nook, which I know little about.

Yes, I suggest keeping a bootable sdcard around for emergencies. It's easier if that's all you use it for since trying to use a 16 gb card, then clean it up (delete the partitions) for use as a data card can be a lot of work for anyone who doesn't work with computers for a living.

3. Modman

Modman Android Enthusiast
    None

May 31, 2011
    However sometimes my time is limited. a 2 gig sd for a bootdisk sounds more sensible. Didn't look thouroughly, I assume manual nooter instructions are in one of these posts. I assume you never use the stock nook os? Can the nook utiliz a 32 gig sd card? Autonooter goes on the bootdisk? so does cwm?

Thanks.

4. 2acclaim

2acclaim Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    yes(not to step on Colchiro's toes since he's helped me through a few bumps). The boot card is created, then you load your ROM onto the card. Scroll through a few things(read the directions,follow closely) and it installs via the zips and you're done.

Yes the nook supports 32gb cards, I'm only using a 16 which should be plenty for me. Understand you've still got close to 5gb of useable internal storage as well after modding.

Updating after that is real easy using the built in rom manager. Tell it download and it pretty much does the rest for you.

5. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    The NC can use a sdcard with a max of 32 gb, but 8-16 gb works for most people unless you store movies/music or other large files on the card. My wife's NC has 8 gb and would be plenty big, but I update her nightly CM7 every couple weeks so it does run out of space if I keep more than 6 backups on it. I used a 16 gb card when I had one.

Use a class 2 or class 4 SanDisk card. :D