• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help what is the toucscreen sensing?

garybeck

Android Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2011
I just installed the screen protector that came with my otterbox case. I'm amazed that I don't see a difference in responsiveness of the touchscreen. I'm wondering, what is it sensing? heat? conductivity? Pretty cool that it works with a protector on there.

cool, it must be pretty sensitive to work through the protector. wonder if the responsiveness changes with the ambient temperature. like if the device is hot because it's charging, or if it's 95 degrees outside, my finger could be the same temperature as the screen was before I touched it.

Upvote 0
Pretty much all modern smartphones and tablets are capacitive. The previous generation of windows mobile (pre 7) and Palm devices used resistive screens. With a few exceptions, if it comes with a stylus, it's probably resistive. If you see a no name Android tablet for sale with stupid cheap pricing, it's almost certainly resistive and best avoided at any price. I was a long time windows mobile user and still miss having that stylus for quick hand written notes. I don't miss anything else about WM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones