• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is this technology?

I've never seen Kudo Banz before, be it looks interesting from a technology POV.

kudo.png

Scanning with a smart-phone, I very much suspect it uses Bluetooth(BLE), or possibly NFC, however not all phones have NFC.

Upvote 0
With the app open you must bring the charm in front of the phone's camera in order for it to work. Could that still be either BLE or NFC? As neither should require the object to be in front of the camera.

That sounds like it's using image recognition then, rather than wireless, and these panda tokens are completely passive.

From what I've read about this, you first need to purchase a "starter kit", which has wrist bands for the system and app to work. And these panda token things are optional extra, but can't be used without the wrist band.

Have you actually bought the starter kit?

I've never seen anything like this before, but it's for training toddlers isn't it, things like potty training?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was thinking that it had to do with the image that 2 or the cartoon characters are holding as only those 2 can make it work. It looks similar to a round bar code.

The Amazon descriptions says "6 Kudos (2 are magical!)", presumably the 2 "magical" ones have the round bar codes that are scanned with the app. What that does exactly, maybe an extra reward for the child, sort of Achievement Unlocked type things?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I haven't bought it no. I'm not interested in the product, only the technology it uses. Seeing this product on shark tank gave me an idea but I need to know the technology they use. The normal charms are a simple reward with no effect from the app but the magical ones give a celebration reward when they are held in front of the phone and recognized by the app. If it is a bar code then it makes sence why the other charms cannot trigger the app but if it using something like tensorflow for recognition then why the trouble of creating "magical" charms when tensorflow should be able to detect all 6 without the use of the barcode looking thing?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones