• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what is upgrade credit/discount exactly?

yoonie

Feb 1, 2011
I've also posted this in the AT&T forum, but it seems like some of the questions I have are more relevant to the atrix specifically. If that's a problem, please let me know and I'll delete this thread.

After reading this link :AT&T Customer: Wait for iPhone 5 or Buy Motorola Atrix for $99?

I was wondering exactly what "upgrade credit" is. I spoke to a customer service rep, and still didn't really understand.

I'm well past my 2 year commitment (original iPhone user here, lol) and I was told I'm eligible for the upgrade credit, and I'm hoping to use it to pick up an atrix from amazon.com (yay gift cards).

So basically, what the hell is "upgrade credit"? Does it just mean I can get the phone at the price I would if I signed up for a 2 year plan, without signing up for a 2 year plan?

I'm also planning on switching to a family plan (which would require changing my #), so would the upgrade credit still apply? And can I still grandfather in my unlimited data plan?

yea the upgrade credit referred to is just getting the 2 year contract price for the phone. I feel like you would be able to just port your number and or line directly into the family plan, but if not then you would need to open a new line. If you open a new line you are no longer grandfathered because you are no longer on the line that it applied to, however who knows if you will be able to work something out with at&t.

Reactions: yoonie
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, my family's plan is all 239 area codes while mine is a 646. Customer service reps told me that I'd have to change my # to a 239 in order to get on the family plan. Any idea if there's any way around that?

Thanks for the info about the upgrade credit/grandfathering.

I've heard rumors that AT&T is bringing back unlimited data for $30- you guys know anything about that?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, my family's plan is all 239 area codes while mine is a 646. Customer service reps told me that I'd have to change my # to a 239 in order to get on the family plan. Any idea if there's any way around that?

Thanks for the info about the upgrade credit/grandfathering.

I've heard rumors that AT&T is bringing back unlimited data for $30- you guys know anything about that?

I'm not sure about a way around the area codes, but I think there is a strong possibility that you can talk them into giving you unlimited data on your new line since they are forcing you to get a new one. Just threaten to leave them for Verizon, and they will be at your mercy.

Speaking of Verizon, I have heard the same rumor as you regarding the unlimited data being brought back because they are worried of customers leaving at&t for Verizon. Of course these are rumors, so we won't know anything for sure until we hear it from at&t.

Upvote 0
it seems that when i threaten att about leaving them even though i have been with them for 5 years paying on the dot literally over $250 each month because I have 5 lines they dont really care. very few times someone will say well lets see what we can do or why whats the problem. when you call do you speak with a special department because i just press 0 0 until i get an operator. the trick of leaving never seems to work even though they would lose a great customer. i always ask them what the price to cut all my lines will be and they happily tell me. wth???

Upvote 0
it seems that when i threaten att about leaving them even though i have been with them for 5 years paying on the dot literally over $250 each month because I have 5 lines they dont really care. very few times someone will say well lets see what we can do or why whats the problem. when you call do you speak with a special department because i just press 0 0 until i get an operator. the trick of leaving never seems to work even though they would lose a great customer. i always ask them what the price to cut all my lines will be and they happily tell me. wth???

Although it really depends who you talk to, it's most likely because you do have 5 lines, and they know you are highly unlikely to pay the large ETF to leave. However, the OP currently only has one line, and it is much easier for them to leave making at&t more worried.

Upvote 0

Yes. Use another one of Google's products, Google Voice. If you already have a Google Voice account, you can port your number over to their system for $20--otherwise you'll have to wait for them to release it to new customers, which should be happening very soon.

Upvote 0
Yes. Use another one of Google's products, Google Voice. If you already have a Google Voice account, you can port your number over to their system for $20--otherwise you'll have to wait for them to release it to new customers, which should be happening very soon.

google voice doesn't necessarily help the OP because they want to port their number to a family plan, and remain on att.

it is my understanding that porting a number to Google voice requires the cancellation of your contract.

Upvote 0
It looks like OP isn't on a contract:

I'm well past my 2 year commitment (original iPhone user here, lol) and I was told I'm eligible for the upgrade credit, and I'm hoping to use it to pick up an atrix from amazon.com (yay gift cards).

I think one of the requirements of a family plan is that all numbers have the same area code, so I don't think it'll be possible to put his old number on that family plan-- the new number in the family plan area code could be used as the forwarding number for a GV account.

Upvote 0
yea ik he is not on contract, but the point is that he doesn't mind getting a new number. His main thing is that he wants to keep the unlimited plan which can't be done with a new number whether its google or att

Yeah, pretty much this. Changing my # is gonna be a bit of a pain, but its mainly the issue of keeping my unlimited data plan.

I will check out google voice though- I'd never heard of it before.

Upvote 0
The person you spoke to on the phone is wrong. You can keep your number exactly they way it is. I have done out of market ports many times there is no restriction on the kind of number you can have.

An upgrade/upgrade credit is the discount that is applied to the phone after signing a 2 year deal.

Meaning:

If the atrix is $600, and you sign a new 2 year contract, they will credit you towards the phone, making it $200 (or what ever it may be )

Upvote 0
Thanks for that info. From your other posts, I take it you work for ATT? If so, could you give me any tips for getting them to do the out of market port?

I actually spoke to someone at an ATT store about a month ago (in addition to calling yesterday) who also told me I needed a 239 area code to get on my family's plan, so I'm wondering if you could give me some advice as to what to do if they keep telling me it's not possible to keep my # and my data plan.

Upvote 0
Thats weird, unless its something completely new then they should be able to do it.

if not, then what you can do is port your number to an individual account, and move your family plan on to your account. When you activate an individual account, you number will get ported to the new market. Ive done it on a family plan before but if this isnt the case anymore that would be the way to do it.

Upvote 0

press #7 not 0..

Upvote 0
google voice doesn't necessarily help the OP because they want to port their number to a family plan, and remain on att.

it is my understanding that porting a number to Google voice requires the cancellation of your contract.

I think what he meant was that he ports the number he uses now (the non family-zip code one) to Google Voice. Then, he doesn't have any current phone contracts and he can join his family plan and receive the discount credit because he's signing up for a new contract. They give him a new number with his family's area code, and then he uses Google Voice for his phone/text services because since he ported his previous number it will be the same number he's been using for years.

Upvote 0
Thats weird, unless its something completely new then they should be able to do it.

if not, then what you can do is port your number to an individual account, and move your family plan on to your account. When you activate an individual account, you number will get ported to the new market. Ive done it on a family plan before but if this isnt the case anymore that would be the way to do it.

I'm a little confused- I'm already on an individual plan.

Assuming ATT refuses to let me keep my number when I join my family's family plan, if I move my family's family plan on to my account, wouldn't they have the same issue of having to get new phone #s in the 646 area code?

Upvote 0
I think what he meant was that he ports the number he uses now (the non family-zip code one) to Google Voice. Then, he doesn't have any current phone contracts and he can join his family plan and receive the discount credit because he's signing up for a new contract. They give him a new number with his family's area code, and then he uses Google Voice for his phone/text services because since he ported his previous number it will be the same number he's been using for years.

After checking out google voice, it seems pretty awesome.

So basically, I could port my # to google voice while specifying that my new # be part of the family plan, and since I'm keeping the same account, I should be able to keep my unlimited data plan?

Upvote 0
wait you are already on AT&T?

what the heck....

just call customer service and ask them for a transfer of service...tell them you want to put your line on that account there shouldnt be any trouble. If you go into an actual corporate store it might be easier

I've done both and was told I couldn't join a family plan (my family has 239 #s) without changing my # to something in that area code.

I'm going to call and go to a store again tomorrow to check again- maybe I just need to find someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Thanks again for all the advice- hopefully this works out somehow in the end with me keeping my old number, my unlimited data plan, an atrix, and maybe even google voice.

Upvote 0
actually the google voice thing can work....if they HAVE to change your number thats fine but make sure you upgrade before you transfer service because it might not let you upgrade for another 3 months!!!!

Definitely not gonna mess with google voice till I get my hands on an atrix and get this whole mess sorted out. I'm not really sure what you mean about the upgrade thing tho- what upgrade are you talking about? Do you mean they might not let me get the upgrade discount if I port my # first?

Hopefully, once that's sorted, I'll be able to find an ATT rep that will let me keep my unlimited data plan during the google voice porting process since that technically involves cancelling an account and opening a new one.

A google voice porting horror story for your enjoyment: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/01/google-voice-lsd-trip/

Upvote 0
Definitely not gonna mess with google voice till I get my hands on an atrix and get this whole mess sorted out. I'm not really sure what you mean about the upgrade thing tho- what upgrade are you talking about? Do you mean they might not let me get the upgrade discount if I port my # first?

Hopefully, once that's sorted, I'll be able to find an ATT rep that will let me keep my unlimited data plan during the google voice porting process since that technically involves cancelling an account and opening a new one.

A google voice porting horror story for your enjoyment: Google Voice Porting Equals LSD Trip Gone Awry | Epicenter| Wired.com

Just to make things clear, you are not porting your number anymore.
Porting is a word used to transfer a number from another carrier, for example, if your number was on tmobile but you wanted it on AT&T, that is a port.

What you are trying to do is called a transfer of service. You are transferring your service (your line) to another account on at&t. Maybe this is where the confusion is coming from with the people you talk to on the phone.

If you do a transfer of service, you will not be able to upgrade (get a phone at a discounted price) for 60-90 days. So if you want the Atrix, get it before you join your family plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones