• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is USB debugging?

drdms37

Oct 29, 2009
Sorry if this has already been discussed. I noticed that under settings/applications/development there is an option of usb debugging which is checked. I have read in other threads that it gets checked if you have Sprint transfer your contacts, but no one has actually said what this does, or if we want it checked or unchecked.
Thanks

I'm equally clueless, but I did find this:

Developing on a Device | Android Developers

After I performed my phone/computer sync today, I got an alert in my notification area with the message "USB debugging connected (Select to disable USB debugging). The HTC manual says:

Synchronizing your phone with your computer automatically
Do the following first to make sure your phone will sync automatically with your computer:
Press HOME > MENU, and then tap Settings > Applications > Development.
Make sure the USB debugging check box is selected.
Whenever you connect your phone to your computer, synchronization starts automatically. Wait for the sync process to finish.

That's the only reference in the manual. When I disconnected my sync cable, the alert went away.

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy Prevail. This menu option was not really discussed in the user manual, but it sounded like a good idea to check the box. Bad mistake...we spent over an hour on phone with Radio Shack, Boost, and finally Samsung b/c my computer would not recognize the phone when I connected it via usb cable (kept saying it couldn't find the drivers). We tried connecting it to 3 different laptops. The box is now UNCHECKED.

Upvote 0
A few apps use it, like the aforementioned PdaNet app. USB Debugging can also be used with ADB when issuing commands from a command line on your computer to your Android handset or tablet. One-Click root apps often require USB Debugging to be enabled to deliver the exploit that roots your device. Z4Root is a good example of this.

To be honest, whether or not you are rooted, the vast majority of the time you do not need USB Debugging to be enabled. The only time you really do is when you know a particular app, like PdaNet mentioned above, would need it or if you are using ADB. For security purposes, it is best to leave it disabled. That is just my two cents on the subject.

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy Prevail. This menu option was not really discussed in the user manual, but it sounded like a good idea to check the box. Bad mistake...we spent over an hour on phone with Radio Shack, Boost, and finally Samsung b/c my computer would not recognize the phone when I connected it via usb cable (kept saying it couldn't find the drivers). We tried connecting it to 3 different laptops. The box is now UNCHECKED.

Actually..not a BAD or a BIG mistake. The 1st time you hook your device up to your computer via USB you want USB Debugging OFF so that the device drivers can install automatically on your PC but after that initial install go ahead and turn USB Debugging on. Like mentioned, with USB Debug ON your PC won't automatically recognize your phone BUT you can still mount it no problem, just gotta hit the Mount Button. Good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones