• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is Voice Privacy?

NCHornet

Apr 8, 2010
On the home screen, menu, settings, call settings there is "voice privacy" and "voice privacy notification" does anybody know what call privacy is or does and why would I want to be notified? I was trying to see if I can set the number of rings before voicemail picks up. I couldn't find the option I was looking for, instead I found this and I have no idea what it does. I am away from home and don't have the manual with me.
Thanks for the help.

NCH

I'll try to answer the OP's question, but be aware that what I don't know about the technical aspects of cellphone service far outweighs what I do know...

Voice privacy is an added layer of encryption available to users of CDMA based networks. In most experts' opinions, it is unnecessary and redundant, because CDMA is universally recognized as being an extremely secure information exchange protocol in and of itself. Based on that fact, I personally don't bother with using voice privacy.

That being said, for those who do wish to utilize the voice privacy feature, be aware that it may not be avaliable when roaming. In such a situation, your phone is capable of notifying you when voice privacy is unavailable.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones