• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is VPN Client? Virus?

I went to my app page this morning and saw "VPN Client" on my samsung galaxy s3. The icon is green and swirly. I was wondering what this is? I can't disable it or uninstall it, only force stop. Did it come with the phone pre-installed and I did not notice it? I also had a software upgrade from T-mobile, could that be the reason? My phone is not rooted.

I went to my app page this morning and saw "VPN Client" on my samsung galaxy s3. The icon is green and swirly. I was wondering what this is? I can't disable it or uninstall it, only force stop. Did it come with the phone pre-installed and I did not notice it? I also had a software upgrade from T-mobile, could that be the reason? My phone is not rooted.

i dont have that on mine
well not sure why you have that app installed
a vpn is a Virtual private network.
Virtual private network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

I have US Cellular and that app comes preinstalled so you probably can't uninstall it. If you don't know what it is, very unlikely you'll ever use it. It shouldn't be causing any difficulty though.

Upvote 0

recently got and update from my carrier and i now have that app on my phone. i cannot remove it witch sucks but it w/e i dont use half the pre installed apps anyways

Upvote 0
It is a stock app on most GS3s. VPN is Virtual Private Network. The application allows you to establish a VPN tunnel to another internet server giving the effect of being on the same network as the server. Mostly used for business so your phone can be on the corporate network.

The app did not work for my companies VPN so I have stuck with the root required VPNC Widget app myself for my VPN connection.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones