1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

what is wifi tethering and hot spot?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by minzer, Aug 15, 2010.

1. minzer

minzer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
    idk what those 2 things are, it looks useful but i dont understand what is used for and how.

can someone please tell me about these 2 features?

Advertisement

2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Wifi tethering and hotspot are different in my mind.

Wifi tethering is for using a phone connected to another device (usually a laptop) via Wifi, to use the phone as a 3G internet modem for internet access anywhere you have a signal. Its quite useful if your in the car, or in an area where you don't have conventional landline internet access.

A hotspot is an area in which the public can use their wifi enabled device to access the internet.

3. PhoenixFx

PhoenixFx Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2010
    A simple google search will tell you all you need to know, but I'll give brief description to start you off

Wi-Fi tethering means connecting your phone to a laptop (or another Wi-Fi capable device) over Wi-Fi to use the 3G internet connection of your phone. In other words turning your phone into a Wireless router and use it's built in 3G data service to browse internet from another device.

A wi-fi hotspot is basically a Wireless router. The term hotspot is usually used for public Wireless access points.