• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is wrong with my battery?

MrTissues

May 9, 2010
So I am having way less battery life than what others are reporting. I unplug my phone from the charger at 9AM then by 3PM it is down to 30%. I have moderate usage. Here is a list of apps that I have on my phone:

MrTissues's Apps on the DROIDX

I don't think I have any rogue apps but would someone mind checking that? Maybe it is because I use WiFi at work because we do not get cell service in the office building.

Wifi isn't a big battery drain.

I didn't look through your app list (I'm not intimately familiar with enough Android apps that it'd be useful), but the issue may be that you get no cell service in the building - it's a huge battery drain when your cell phone has to constantly search to acquire a signal, constantly look for better signals, etc.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try disabling the 3g and 1x. Does anyone know how to do that?

I do not use a live wallpaper right now.

To disable BOTH 3g and 1x you simply can go into Airplane mode. You can use something like the app Airplane Mode Wi-Fi Tool to easily toggle wifi while maintaining airplane mode. If you want to just disable 3g and have 1x working it's a bit more difficult.

To disable 3g and still have 1x:
Open the Phone app and dial:
*#*#INFO#*#*
Click on Phone Information, Set Preferred Network Type, scroll down to where you see "CDMA auto (PRL)" change this to "CDMA only", and your phone will stop using 3G. The status bar should confirm this.

Upvote 0
So I am having way less battery life than what others are reporting. I unplug my phone from the charger at 9AM then by 3PM it is down to 30%. I have moderate usage. Here is a list of apps that I have on my phone:

I don't think I have any rogue apps but would someone mind checking that? Maybe it is because I use WiFi at work because we do not get cell service in the office building.

Did you just get your DX? Did you just add a social networking account?

The only days I've gotten less than 14 hrs of use was when my DX was first syncing to facebook. If you check your usage (I use the spare parts app) if UID 10017 is using a ton of data then that's probably why. Also check to see if your GPS is always on...there's a bug where it'll keep the phone from sleeping.

Upvote 0
I have actually rooted my device and renamed the social networking apps so I don't even see UID 10017 at all. However, in Spare Parts it shows that process ID 1013 is using a ton of my network. Does anyone know what this is? Spare Parts isn't very useful when it only shows IDs like this.

EJmhp.jpg

Another problem is that the DX does not show "Awake Time" in the settings so I can't see if my phone never sleeps...

EDIT: It seems Spare Parts actually does provide this functionality. It turns out that my Time spent without sleeping is 5h 54m and my total time unplugged is 5h 54m so it seems like my phone never sleeps. This is why my phone dies much faster than everyone elses. However, I have no idea of how to fix this.

Upvote 0
I have actually rooted my device and renamed the social networking apps so I don't even see UID 10017 at all. However, in Spare Parts it shows that process ID 1013 is using a ton of my network. Does anyone know what this is? Spare Parts isn't very useful when it only shows IDs like this.
I had ID 1001 using up lots of network traffic earlier as well as CPU, but I have no clue what it is so I had to reboot my phone to fix it.

Another problem is that the DX does not show "Awake Time" in the settings so I can't see if my phone never sleeps...

Spare Parts -> Battery History -> Running....it tells you how long your phone has been running, if your phone is not sleeping, it will show 100%.

Upvote 0
I had ID 1001 using up lots of network traffic earlier as well as CPU, but I have no clue what it is so I had to reboot my phone to fix it.

Spare Parts -> Battery History -> Running....it tells you how long your phone has been running, if your phone is not sleeping, it will show 100%.
Thanks for the Spare Parts info. I actually figured this out while you were probably making your post and edited it in. I am at 100% running but I don't know how to find out why and what is causing this problem.

Upvote 0

When I first got my X I was having the same issue....here are some things I did that have helped my battery life drastically....
- downloaded juice defender
How to QUADRUPLE Your Android Battery Life | The Droid Demos
- went in to google talk and changed the settings to NOT automatically sign me in
- updated all my social networking apps to not push anything
- set my screen brightness to about 20%

After I did this I can go about 12 or more hours and still have about 40% battery left after moderate use during the day....

Upvote 0

You don't get cell service in the building, that's the issue. CDMA and trying to find 4 towers to connect to is a huge battery drain.

Upvote 0
I've been having similar problems with battery drain. Yesterday the phone was hot and went from 100% to 10% in about 4.5 hours. One 2 minute phone call and 3 texts. No web usage, no GPS. No obvious apps running, Juice Defender set to turn off radios when the screen is off and only use data 1 minute every 15. Took it to Best Buy but they had no answers. It's happened a few days, yet not every day, I can't seem to track down the cause. Any ideas???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones