1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support What is wrong with my SD card and how can I fix it?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by faroresdragn, Apr 19, 2016.

1. faroresdragn

faroresdragn Lurker
    None

Oct 17, 2015
    Porter, Indiana
    I bought a 64 GB micro SD when I got my Galaxy S4 a year ago. It has served every purpose I needed it to serve until now.

Yesterday I added a few songs to the card. like 12 songs. seemed like it worked fine. But weird little things always seem to happen when I add music.

It seemed all fine when I downloaded it. This morning I went to listen to my music, and the songs I downloaded said they werent supported by the media player. Then I discovered that none of my thousands of songs were supported by the media player. I couldnt play any of my music. went back into my music a few minutes later, and all of my music was completely gone. Looked in my photos, and they were all gone. Went into the settings, and the phone said there was no SD card in the phone.

When I took the sd card out and put it back in again, it said it was blank and that Id need to format it and erase everything off of it. I took out the card and plugged it into my computer. It said the same thing. I couldnt access the card until I formatted it, and formatting it would erase all the data on the card.

This came completely out of nowhere. Theres no logical reason that adding a few songs would have caused my SD card to get destroyed. The music on it is no problem, but I also have on there hundreds of pictures that arent backed up anywhere else, app data Id prefer not to lose, and maybe more importantly, hours and hours worth of save data from all my emulator games that I havent completed yet.

Please tell me theres something I can do to fix this or at least someplace I can take this SD card to extract the data out of it. If I really have to delete all those pictures and lose all my save data I may cry myself to sleep for a week. please help me.

Advertisement

2. AMOCO

AMOCO The Computer Guy

Mar 10, 2012
    Male
    Computer Tech.
    Colorado Springs,CO.
    First off format your micro SD Card in the phone/device,Not with your computer.
    And this is a great media player,That plays all kinds of file types,ISO,AVI,FLAC....
    https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-android.html

Edit: Losing data and pics;
    This why I have everything backed up to my computer,Even pics.

tube517 likes this.
  3. faroresdragn

faroresdragn Lurker
    None

Oct 17, 2015
    Porter, Indiana
    I dont need a good media player. All of my music (like 6gb of it) has been playing on my phone while stored on that sd card for a year. then it suddenly said that none of my music was the correct format to be read by my phones media player.

but theres really no conceivable way to get data off the card? its really just completely destroyed and I have to reformat it? There's no store or factory I can take it to that can help?

4. Pugs1957

Pugs1957 Guest
    None
    On this and other forums I see countless posts where "important data" has been deleted. If it was important, it should have been backed up!. Things fail, including SD cards. My S4 regularly corrupted them so my backups always included the SD card. If the card couldn't be read, I could so it out in 2 minutes.
    You are now faced with the prospect of trying to recover data which can be hit or miss. I would suggest you connect the card via a reader, to your PC and try using Recuva or similar to retrieve your information. If that doesn't work you are looking at forensic data recovery which will be expensive.

Dannydet likes this.
  5. faroresdragn

faroresdragn Lurker
    None

Oct 17, 2015
    Porter, Indiana
    great. gotta love things that just quit on you for no reason. Is there any way to back stuff up that isnt known to destroy itself spontaneously?

And does this mean I have to get a new SD card or should this one still be good after I format it?

6. Pugs1957

Pugs1957 Guest
    None
    Technology is great....when it works! Your card should be good to go after a reformat. Should you have a problem in the future and if you haven't formatted the card, Windows chkdsk can cure most ills.

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    FYI I had a 32GB micro-SD go corrupted yesterday, actually when I added some files to it with my MacBook. Turned out it was a cheapo no-name USB card-reader that caused it, and not the micro-SD itself.

Had to reformat it to make it usable again. And I threw the cheapo card-reader in the recycling. Shows the importance of keeping data backups though.

Recuva is a PC data recovery tool I've used successfully in the past.

#7 mikedt, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016