• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is your definition of lag?

lol no i know the general definition of lag.

I do understand what you mean about the incredible
and droid and other phones

But some people are actually a 100% satisfied
with the eris performance
so i wondering since pressing things on the eris
and it's not instant
what is there definition of lag

Upvote 0
Slow performance and delays when you press buttons and navigate.

Others phones like the iphone or Incredible you press a button and you get an instant response. Not so with the Eris.

@5thElement

I'm asking very nicely.

Please, go back to the Incredible forum and quit posting on this forum. You may have been unhappy with the Eris, but others are not. In fact many really enjoy it. What you are currently doing is not helpful or informative to the new members here and simply annoying to those of us that have been around for a while. Your negative opinions of this phone are not welcome here, so once again I am asking as nicely as I can, please stop.

@ Carmen

I don't really have a problem with lag. As you say my definition of lag may be different from other users though. 1 second of my life does not cause me any problems. If I hit a button and a second ticks by before something happens then it really isn't a big deal to me. Now, if those seconds start to add up then it can become a problem. To me lag is only really a factor when it interferes with what I am doing. If I am typing and I have finished a sentence before it shows on the screen (has never happened, just an example) then this is a huge problem to me. If something similar to that were to happen in an app or even starting an app then it would be a problem.

Reactions: hookem
Upvote 0
lol no i know the general definition of lag.

I do understand what you mean about the incredible
and droid and other phones

But some people are actually a 100% satisfied
with the eris performance
so i wondering since pressing things on the eris
and it's not instant
what is there definition of lag

My definition is when I'm making a gesture and it doesn't automatically respond. Like when I swipe from page to page or up and down a page. I don't consider lag as something when I open an app and it takes a second to open up, I call that loading. Loading an application, and a lagging application are two different things.

Like noticing a choppy framerate in a game, thats what I consider lag on a smartphone to be.

Upvote 0
@5thElement

I'm asking very nicely.

Please, go back to the Incredible forum and quit posting on this forum. You may have been unhappy with the Eris, but others are not. In fact many really enjoy it. What you are currently doing is not helpful or informative to the new members here and simply annoying to those of us that have been around for a while. Your negative opinions of this phone are not welcome here, so once again I am asking as nicely as I can, please stop.

OTD, i hope i did not offend or annoy
your(or anyone who may read this)
i was just really curious.
It amazed me that of all the eris owners
when everyone was on 1.5, some people
were very pleased with the performance
while others(myself included) were not that pleased
and some downright hated the performace and phone

and then it became even more divided when all the leaks and root
options came about

Upvote 0
Slow performance and delays when you press buttons and navigate.

Others phones like the iphone or Incredible you press a button and you get an instant response. Not so with the Eris.

My phone's better than yours! Buy this phone!
My phone's better than yours! Buy this..........
My phone's better than yours!....................
My phone's better than.........................
My phone's better............................

That's what I consider a.... oh thought you said nag....

Upvote 0
My phone's better than yours! Buy this..........
My phone's better than yours!....................
My phone's better than.........................
My phone's better............................

That's what I consider a.... oh thought you said nag....

+1 lol

Upvote 0

options came about

No honey, none of that was even remotely directed at you.

I actually think this is a really good topic and may shed some light on peoples problems/expectations of the phone. We may find that some have expectations that are way too high (I think we already know that for some people) and we may find that some people's expectations are not high enough.

Upvote 0
Question and title is pretty much simple.
Just curious :)

The only lag I experience is after downloading something from the market. As soon as the download finishes (before the install), there are a few seconds where the phone is unresponsive for 2 or 3 seconds. Completely frozen then it catches up.

Every once is awhile, while scrolling, the screen will get jumpy. I then realize that I haven't rebooted in awhile or need to clear cache. Problem solved.

Nothing bad where I lose functionality. I've seen plenty of iPhones with lag.

@5thElement

I'm asking very nicely.

:thumbsup

There's a couple people around here that need to accept this advice.

Upvote 0

options came about

I do not think you annoyed anyone, imho it is a valid question. For me it when I hit the end call button (physical or on screen) and the phone does not register until you tap it 3 or 4 times, same with answering.

And regarding the 1.5 observation, you are correct. For those who got there phone before the first 1.5 update there was a very minimal amount of lag (almost non-existent) and it was a beast, but after the first update it was all downhill... well at least for my eris

Upvote 0
Lol i just have to be careful with what i say and ask
and do here since i've sparked arguments before without
meaning too

and yes sadly on my hero i have the same problem
that i did with my eris...

It's annoying because when i cussed out my ex earlier and i was talking shit
he called me back and was like what did you say haha

Upvote 0
I have honestly never experience lag besides when a new text message comes in while I'm in the process of writing one. The phone is dang near instant as far as screen scrolling, opening apps, and opening menus goes.

I wish mine was like this.

It lags when I have any apps open and I try to scroll from page to page, when I type, even moderately fast, when I am switching back and forth between apps (most likely because more than one thing is open).

I lags the most when the available memory is lower than 30 mb. But the phone turns on with 70. And under normal use decreases to this quickly.

I notice a huge decrease in performance when I have a lot of apps installed (not even running).

And the bloatware annoys me, I have never tweeted in my life and peep opens when anything of the preloaded apps open same with Stocks... footprints...

Really horrible multi tasking performance IMO mostly.

-G

Upvote 0
Lag can be defined as any minor delay in your phone responding to your input. It is really not that big of a deal unless you fall into the category of users who demand instant gratification for just about everything in this world. In that case, anything that does not immediately happen when they want it to will be defined as lag. And that probably holds true for all their social interactions and anything related to tech. Most people who complain like that are tech noobs, have zero patience in this world and are probably a joy to have around the house around the holidays, especially after a few cocktails.

The Eris is not a powerhouse. It was never meant to be. It's a great phone. I have upgrades avavailable if anyone needs an incredible that badly.Sheez.

Upvote 0
Lag can be defined as any minor delay in your phone responding to your input. It is really not that big of a deal unless you fall into the category of users who demand instant gratification for just about everything in this world. In that case, anything that does not immediately happen when they want it to will be defined as lag. And that probably holds true for all their social interactions and anything related to tech. Most people who complain like that are tech noobs, have zero patience in this world and are probably a joy to have around the house around the holidays, especially after a few cocktails.

The Eris is not a powerhouse. It was never meant to be. It's a great phone. I have upgrades avavailable if anyone needs an incredible that badly.Sheez.

lol my roommate said could he have your upgrade haha
idiot

anyways
yeah that is true...

i did be one of those instant gratification people
but honestly the slight delay in opening apps
or keyboard lag is not that bad to me anymore

Upvote 0
I do not have a problem with "lag" or speed on my Eris. My phone works very well and is quick, sometimes instant responses.

There is a reason as to why at times the phone might take a few extra seconds to process your command. Think about it, the icons/widgets/shortcuts are just that, shortcuts to loading the actual program. I use the HTC People widget, when I click on one of the 9 people listed it has to run the people application which then will launch the dialer. And that's just 3 programs, now throw in Sense, sync, Android system, ect all running in the background. Add in the fact that maybe your phone has been idle for 10, 30, 60 minutes and you just took it out of "sleep", you might have to wait an entire 1 or 2 seconds longer.

Similar to what AdrianC14 pointed out,

I have a friend that originally bought the Droid, loved it but didn't like the slide out key board. So he returned it within 30 days and go the Eris. He absolutely loved the Eris but did notice that the Droid was a bit faster. He said that if he hadn't had the Droid first that he wouldn't have known or mind. A month ago he broke his Eris and was given the option to use his insurance and upgrade to the Droid, which he did, for a little extra speed.

I am sure that those who complain about lag and delay are perhaps the same people who download a bunch of apps at the same time, get some that don't mix well together, prompt their phone for a command, and get frustrated that their phone is slow to respond. It is similar to my father-in-laws computer, he installs every Windows/Google/third party widgets on his desktop, opens everything in a new window (not new tab) and wonders why his computer is running slow.

Upvote 0
Only problems with lag i get are with the dialer. Dialing a new number and it going extremly slow because its trying to go through the similar contacts. Also when receiving a call and the it rings and vibrates on a solid black screen and takes a good 15 seconds before i can see whos calling. Other than that i have no lag issues, everything runs very smooth on my Eris and love it for my first smart phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones