• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is YOUR desktop/laptop brand and specs?

Not having a disc drive when most software still requires one

10 years ago maybe. Can you even buy software on physical media these days? Apart from second-hand on Ebay, but that needs the internet of course. I used to have reasons to have a DVD-recorder, mainly copying movies....LOL! But most media capable devices these days, like smart-TVs, DLP projectors, all seem to have USB ports on them. Copy movie to USB, enjoy!

(not everyone is blessed with dedicated high speed internet or the 'cloud' just yet) and needing an external one seems a regression to the days when one needed a external floppy drive and even then it was only a limit on ultra portables or 'subnotebooks' as they were referred to. Until software is mass produced on SD cards i don't see the point in ditching the disc drive yet. there are still reasons to have a CD writer too. not being forced to use Windows is also nice.

My Satellite Pro has an external CD drive too. that was a normal thing--in 1994!

The Dell Latitude CP-series answered your concern well during its time. you could use the same bay that was normally occupied with a CD ROM drive for a spare battery or hard disk, since you could eject devices and exchange them. Quite frankly, i don't understand why that innovation died off...sure beats carrying or losing an external component.

We've now onto solid-state storage media. things like 128GB USB sticks, vs old fashioned 650MB CD-recordable.
Boot your laptop from them, store all the things you like, no need for bulky, spinning mechanical optical media. Laptops are lighter and compact, more robust, batteries last longer. One laptop we've got here is completely solid-state, a Fujitsu, no DVD and no mechanical hard-drive either, running Win 7 and Linux Mint.

There's probably someone somewhere griping that no new cars come with cassette stereos any more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let me know when you can 'burn' an ISO image to a USB stick. All the Linux images are in ISO format. Only exceptions are for tiny distros like Puppy. Only Ubuntu supports Steam fully though.

Just use ImageWriter or something. There's plenty of tools to make a bootable USB from a full ISO image, for Win, Mac and Linux itself of course. :) After all we do have Linux Mint installed on two laptops here, both came with Win, neither have a DVD drive. ...nothing "tiny" nothing "puppy", and I don't need Steam because I'm not in the US and don't play games. :D

Much of the software you buy at Best Buy still comes on disc.

I've not seen a Best Buy in a while, nearest equivalent we got is Suning. they don't sell software. Anything I want has to be downloaded, end-off. The local printing and stationery stores do keep a good supply of blank CD-R & DVD-Rs, should I ever require them though.

Anyway, this is all OT for this thread. Any more discussion, we can start a new thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Much of the world doesn't have Best Buy either. :p

Myself, not had much to do with CDs and DVDs in the last few years, in fact I've actually used cassettes more, but that's for lessons. I got one DVD that my dad gave me, when I was in the UK, and that's it, which I've ripped.

To bring this thread back on course...

Macbook Core2Duo 4GB, Fujitsu UMPC, Lenovo laptop of some description, Haier laptop of some description, Greatwall laptop of some description, Hasee desktop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Desktop; Custom Built; Name is: BLACK EDITION
CPU: AMD A6 7400K Black Edition,3.9GHz,,,Overclocked to 4.7GHz
MB: Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-HD2 Motherboard
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB.(DDR3-1600)
GPU: XFX AMD Radeon R7 240 Core Edition,780MHz Core Clock/1600MHz Memory Clock,,,Overclocked to 1015MHz Core Clock/2080MHz Memory Clock.
HDD: Toshiba 500GB. 32MB. Cache SATA 3,(6.0Gb/s)Primary,,,Hitachi 500GB. 16MB. Cache SATA 2,(3.0gB/S)Storage
Media: Samsung DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224DB/BEBE
Sound: ASUS Xonar DG 5.1(24Bit)

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 430 Watt ATX Power Supply
Cooler: Cooler Master HYPER T4 CPU Cooler
Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Monitor: Sharp 32" LED Model LC32LB150U(Pimary),,,HP 17" LCD(Secondary)

Headset: Turtle Beach Z22 With DSS2 Dobly Digital 5.1 Surround Sound Unit

Laptop: HP Black Licorice Model HP 2000-2C29WM
RAM: 8GB. Memory
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64,,,(Had 8.1 on it but didn't like it)
Full Specs here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03619198

Laptop: Wife's: Dell Inspiron 1525

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones