• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is your favorite Task Killer/Manager?

Is this the "hold home button until dialog appears"? I've noticed that if I back out of running apps (instead of pressing home and allowing it to keep running in the background), my battery doesn't seem to be draining. I use about 3% battery for every 5 hours of cell idle. I'm using an Acer Liquid with 1350 mAh battery.
No, its the one where you can go to settings, applications, running, then FC an app if it gives you trouble.
but the Android OS doesnt need a Task Manager anyways.

Upvote 0
Please Mr lekky allow me to have a different opinion than yourself and to speak it free. You may not possibly speak of my knowledge on IT since you don't know me.

You can have whatever opinion you like my friend. But I wasn't stating my opinion, I was stating what google says about managing apps.

Therefore you have a different opinion than google's opinion, those people who wrote android from scratch.

But you're right, google don't know your knowledge on IT, and I'm sure you know android better than they do.

Upvote 0
I never cared to use a task killer/manager in Android. I think people still hang on such stuff because of their previous experience with other OSs, where task killers/managers were needed for proper management of your apps. Symbian was one example...

I try new apps constantly and there were only a few times that some apps started to misbehave, so I had to force close them. The solution was then simple - get rid of such apps and get alternative ones.

Upvote 0
When I bought the original MyTouch 3G, the person who sold it to me told me to install a Task Killer app. I found it made my phone glitchy and that "killed" apps would just start up again immediately, so I uninstalled it. Haven't used it since on either the MyTouch 3G or the MyTouch 4G, and I haven't regretted removing it.

Especially on higher-end phones with at least 512 MB of RAM, a task killer is wholly unnecessary.

Upvote 0
I've read quite a bit about how it is claimed that task managers do more harm than good, but I'm simply not seeing it. I've had multiple instances on my HTC Inspire where I've noticed the phone slowing down, and after checking task killer and closing apps that are running, the phone speeds up. A lot of the time apps are open that I never opened (Asphalt 5 bloatware, e.g.), and after closing them I notice significant increases in phone speed.

Upvote 0
I've read quite a bit about how it is claimed that task managers do more harm than good, but I'm simply not seeing it. I've had multiple instances on my HTC Inspire where I've noticed the phone slowing down, and after checking task killer and closing apps that are running, the phone speeds up.
What I've bolded should be a good indicator that task killers do more harm than good. I don't get my phone slowing down.

Upvote 0
I use the Task Killer feature in ZDBox. It works great so far, and my battery lasts longer. I like the widget, the battery level indicator (tells me % of charge left on the top bar, and built in uninstaller. I know it duplicates some of androids own maintenance apps but this is an improvement.

I occasionally restart the system by pressing the power button for 15 seconds. Maybe that helped too.

Upvote 0
;)actually, there is one task killer that I adore, it is called Mobo Task Killer. And I think its following features are really something:
Task Widget: indicate memory and battery available, and you can free your phone memory by pressing "OPTIMIZE" button in the widget without opening the app.
I'm guessing that the word 'optimize' is a fancy word meaning to end/kill
task
Shake Optimize: You can just shake your phone to optimize memory.
Auto Optimize: Automatically kill running apps in the background at periodic intervals.
Auto killing is NEVER the best solution with Android. If you kill a task that will be needed immediately by another app, then that task has to be reloaded and in the end, your phone will be using more resource as it would continuously need to call these apps back. You might have some apps on the ignore list, but the thing with Android is that apps can call on other (stock) apps/tasks to be used. So, if you don't consider ALL apps that are needed in the process, you will have to reload apps that needs for certain apps to run properly.

Android monitor itself to be fully optimized. If there's an app that hasn't been used in a long time, it will end that task to free memory.

Only reason you would need a task killer is because you're using an older phone that's on Froyo or older or have less than 512MB of RAM. Most phones now are on Gingerbread and have 1GB of RAM. With these devices, you don't need a task killer

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Advanced Task Manager free is outstanding. The Pro version lets you put an icon on the screen that lets you kill everything with one press. It even kills itself.

And how many of those killed apps, including the task manager, start up again? In the Pro version, the icon sounds like a widget, which means it would start back up again as it's considered a service. If the dev allows his own app to be killed, knowing that it would start back up again, I would question his Android knowledge.

Upvote 0
I like Rocket Task Killer Pro that just came on the market because it looks the coolest....but I am biased because my friend help make it...

It seems to work quite well though

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pwg.RocketTaskKillerPro

Yet another app that will just mess up more android phones. TASK KILLERS CAN NOT EVEN KILL APPS!! Google took away the ability of an app to kill another app a long time ago so that people would quit installing worthless task killers!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones