1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General What keeps starting Maps and draining my battery???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by leifonzo, Sep 15, 2011.

1. leifonzo

leifonzo Lurker
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    First of all, I love a lot of things about this phone. It is SOOOO much faster than my OG Droid! I have it rooted so I can run Adfree and Titanium Backup and tether.

Like a lot of people, I am underwhelmed by the battery usage. Two hours of the thing sitting in my pocket and I'll be down to 60% of standard battery. Unacceptable.

The biggest battery hog seems to be Maps. I do keep GPS on, as I use navigation several times a day, as well as a few other apps that use GPS. Maps consistently shows as using about 50% of my overall power usage.

If I kill Maps, a few minutes later I find it running again. I can't tell which app or service is turning it on, since there are so many...

Any insight or help?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    GPS equates to Maps. Is there any way to only use the GPS when you actually need it, like for Navigation?

Any other geo-location aware app will also be doing this - BW weather widget, browser loading Google (if you have enabled geolocation in the browser), etc.

3. tehsusenoh

tehsusenoh Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    I reccommend putting the GPS toggle widget on a homescreen, then just enabling it when you are going to use it. It seems silly, but I'm getting 15 hours out of my phone so far.

4. leifonzo

leifonzo Lurker
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    Thanks for the ideas. I know I can disable GPS except when I need it, but with my old droid, I left it on, and the icon confirmed that GPS was only used when I actually had a program open that was using it. For instance, when I had Maps open, or a marine navigation app I use, then I knew I was using GPS.

On my old phone, when I backed out of maps, unless navigation was active, the GPS shut off. That wasn't the case with the marine app, so I knew to kill it once I was done.

I guess I was hoping to identify the apps and services that KEEP GPS on so I can kill them and then have instant GPS when I need it.

It is helpful to know about the browser. I checked, and I did have location enabled - I wasn't aware of it. Maybe that will help.

5. droidman40

droidman40 Newbie
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    there was another thread with this same problem. Someone suggested uninstalling Maps updates, clearing cache and then reinstalling Maps updates.
    I had the same problem as you, tried the uninstall reinstall route and haven't had problem since.

wyzird and mamawm like this.
  6. murth

murth Member
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    thanks for pointing this out I guess i should be more vigilant on watching whats running. I've never used Maps on my bionic however it seems to be ALWAYS running and when i force close it it restarts right away. I froze it in TB and my battery has become super studly.

7. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    Stupid facebook used my GPS for over an hour yesterday. I added it to my auto kill list ;-)