• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What kind of car charger/wall charger do you use for your S3?

Lola1110

May 4, 2011
I had to return my brand new s3 for a new (ahem, *refurbished*) one after 20 days because it wouldn't take a charge. Verizon rep said it was because I ruined the port by using the wall charger and car charger that I bought when I had an HTC Inc 2. That they weren't "compatible" with the s3. I explained that his coworker told me new accessories wouldn't be necessary and the ones I had were fine. He tried to sell me new accessories and I refused. Anyway, I'm using the wall charger that came with the s3 and not charging it in the car at all. I want a new car charger and wall charger for work. Can you recommend ones that maybe I could buy on ebay for less money instead of giving Verizon more business? Thanks.

i am using Griffin in my car...
Purchase the Griffin PowerJolt Dual Universal Micro Charger for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

Belkin wall charger for home..
Amazon.com: Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports (1 AMP / 5 Watt): Electronics

and a Monoprice wall charger for travel...
For only $6.24 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4 Port USB Wall Charger 2.1A - Black

and the Verizon rep you spoke to is full of shit. i've used the above chargers and so many different cables among 10+ devices without anything bad happening.

if anything had happened to your phone, it was just bad luck.

Upvote 0
I'm using the charger that came with the phone in my bedroom at night and also using the HTC Thunderbolt desk dock charging cable when in the living room and my OG Droid charging cable too. In the car, I use a verizon brand car charger and a Motorola brand charger in my husbands car. I have yet to notice a problem with my phone. My phone charges just fine with all the chargers.

Upvote 0
I use multiple different chargers with my SGS3. I have one with my Nokia N97, BlackBerry Tour, HTC Desire Z and the one that came with my SGS3. They should all have the same standards when it comes to charging. All use a standard micro-USB port to charge the phone. You can also charge it with a standard USB to micro-USB cable by connecting to a PC. My car charger was a generic one I bought for my first phone.

Upvote 0
I'm using the wall charger that came with the phone. For the car I'm using a universal charger I picked up at the Verizon store.

Sounds like BS to me! My wife & I both have S3s and use any combination of OEM and aftermarket chargers at home and n the car with no ill effects. I will say that I have heard people having issues with some USB cables for data transfer/connecting to Kies that were not the OEM cable, but as long as the charger can push enough current to charge the phone, it should work fine & should not damage the phone. I guess in theory you could get a surge from a really cheap, poorly regulated car charger, but I think the chances of that are slim.

Upvote 0
Sounds like BS to me! My wife & I both have S3s and use any combination of OEM and aftermarket chargers at home and n the car with no ill effects. I will say that I have heard people having issues with some USB cables for data transfer/connecting to Kies that were not the OEM cable, but as long as the charger can push enough current to charge the phone, it should work fine & should not damage the phone. I guess in theory you could get a surge from a really cheap, poorly regulated car charger, but I think the chances of that are slim.

BS how? I'm using the same car charger on my S3 that I used on my Incredible 2 and have had no issues with it. For a wall charger I'm using the charger that came with the phone. How is this BS?

Upvote 0
BS how? I'm using the same car charger on my S3 that I used on my Incredible 2 and have had no issues with it. For a wall charger I'm using the charger that came with the phone. How is this BS?

I don't think the BS part was directed at you, but at the person the OP was referring to in the original post saying they have to use the charger that came with the phone.

Upvote 0

OOps! Sorry for any misunderstanding- the "BS" call was directed at the Verizon salesperson who should be fired for accusing someone of damaging their phone by using something other than the stock charger. People like that give sales reps a bad rap. ;)

Upvote 0
I use Blackberry chargers, the Samsung charger it came with, some old Motorola charger.....

I dunno - I think the electrons coming from a 700ma charger are the same as the electrons coming from a different 700ma charger.

At least Samsung isnt totally ghey like on my old Motorola where they actually set the phone to REJECT any non-Motorola charger. How completely offensive and greedy.

Upvote 0
there is a USB standard.

and since our S3 uses a micro USB port, it has to conform to it. same thing that uses anything USB like chargers, accessories, etc.

now, i recently got a cheapy AC charger with a USB port. i noticed it charges really slowly my extended batt.

i looked at the numbers on the sticker of the thing. it outputs .5 amps at 5 volts.

btw, 5 volts is the max per USB specs. anything else will do damage.

as for the .5 amps, i think this is the reason for the "slowness" of the charge. i have another one that i think outputs like 1 amp. so it's double the juice it is sending the to the phone so time on ".5 amp" vs a "1 amp" will be twice as fast to charge.

just my 2 cents...

Upvote 0
there is a USB standard.

and since our S3 uses a micro USB port, it has to conform to it. same thing that uses anything USB like chargers, accessories, etc.

now, i recently got a cheapy AC charger with a USB port. i noticed it charges really slowly my extended batt.

i looked at the numbers on the sticker of the thing. it outputs .5 amps at 5 volts.

btw, 5 volts is the max per USB specs. anything else will do damage.

as for the .5 amps, i think this is the reason for the "slowness" of the charge. i have another one that i think outputs like 1 amp. so it's double the juice it is sending the to the phone so time on ".5 amp" vs a "1 amp" will be twice as fast to charge.

just my 2 cents...

I suspect we have the same .5 amp external battery charger w/USB port.

Works well enough, just hope you're not in a hurry for a quick charge. About 12-14 hrs to charge an extended battery.

For the phone, I use the 2A charger that is stock w/the GALAXY NOTE2. Doesn't seem to charge a whole lot faster than the stock S3 charger, but, hey, might as well use it since it's bought & paid for

Upvote 0
absolutely nothings beats the Anker 3.1 amp car charger and the Powergen home charger. Ordered both from Amazon and literally have not touched any other chargers. GAURANTEED you'll be blown away by the performance.
nye00m.jpg
20gfz83.jpg

Upvote 0

just my 2 cents...

Not sure that it's a proportional thing, e.g. double the amps gets you charged twice as fast, but it definitely makes a difference.

And, I imagine there is a top end limit to what the battery will draw in current while it's charging- at that point, the extra amperage just isn't used.

"Look ma, I charged my S3 using a 5V, 20 amp charger- charged from 0-100% in 2 minutes, then promptly blew a hole in my dresser!" ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones