• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What kind of micro SD card to get?

They're rather inexpensive, so why not? However, I'm also trying to decide what capacity and type to buy. I currently use a Samsung Galaxy s2 4G on tmobil. AFAIK, the benefits of a class 10 card isn't really going to make for the extra cost. 16GB is pretty good price, but don't think 32GB will be worth it. All I want to do is.....

--fast and easy way to transfer media files on the go, or directly on the phone
--keep a few scant few files (e.g. Office documents) and media around (the bulk of my music is on my classic Ipod anyways)
--backup some crucial data perhaps (although my contacts list already run off the SIM card, but changes to UI and menu options perhaps)
--backup game saves (dunno if it's possible to do that. The only thing I have for now are Angry Birds Seasons and Angry Birds Rio. Not a big deal, but I did sink alot of time into those. I'd hate to have to replay them from the beginning)

What I won't be using it for....
--supplement storage space on phone
I don't anticipate storing mounds of data and media on the phone nor cSD card

Any other good uses I'm missing with an Android device and micro SD cards?

Some good 32G SD cards on e-bay at great prices...I'm talking about those speed rated 10.

I've only used about 3G of the space so far but my photographs are increasing and occasionnally I find it a quick way to move big video files between work & home.

You'll find a way to use the space at some time...but go with what you can afford...just make sure it's a high speed rating (it's the little number in the circle)

Upvote 0
sorry to revive a dead thread if that's a taboo thing here.... I ended up getting a 16 GB, class 4 cSD card. Although it's not quite the same thing, it's nice that getting these 16GB didn't cost an extra $100 (yes, rip on IpT and Iphones). Appareantly, there's no plug and play to transfer photos over, so transferring media via micro SD works well.

Upvote 0
--backup game saves (dunno if it's possible to do that. The only thing I have for now are Angry Birds Seasons and Angry Birds Rio. Not a big deal, but I did sink alot of time into those. I'd hate to have to replay them from the beginning)

The game saves are probably located in "/data/data/com.rovio.angrybirdsrio" for Angry Birds Rio and a similarly named folder for the other game. However don't rely too much on backups you make of those folders, as I have never tested that procedure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones