1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What kind of signal strength/reception should I be experiencing (3g-4G outside, house, basement etc)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JSK, Dec 21, 2011.

1. JSK

JSK Newbie

I am curious what kind of signal strength you guys are getting in 4G areas. Kind of want to know if this is normal performance, just GNex issues, or if it is something I should be looking to exchange over?

Up the road a couple of blocks: 3-4 bars of 4G
    Outside on the sidewalk: 2 bars of 4G, 93dBm 2 asu
    Inside house, upstairs: 2 bars of 3G, -93dBm 1 asu
    Inside, downstairs: 1 to 2 bars (the 3G symbol isn't showing up, does this mean I am on 1x downstairs?) -100dBm 1 asu

I'm not dropping calls so far at home, though I have been on less than 20 in 48 hours. I usually run on WiFi at the house anyhow for battery and speed purposes so no 4G downstairs isn't a killer. Kind of surprised that I can't get it upstairs though.

So is this normal for this phone considering the talk of potential radio issues? Or should I be concerned and look at a return?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

I suggest you run speed test instead of just watching the signal bar. On the other thread about speed test, many are reporting over 30Mbps down in 4G to the contrary of what signal level suggests.

3. JSK

JSK Newbie

I have. Outside on the sidewalk I was getting 9.7 to 11.3mbps down and around 5mbps up. Yesterday that is, with two bars.

I think there may still be some VZW data issues over this way as I can't seem to connect to data as of right now.

4. swagner53

swagner53 Android Enthusiast

With the issues Verizon is currently having I would not judge signal at all this week. I really think we need Verizon to work this all out before we judge signal.

5. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

Let me guess, they will be "fixing" this issue until 1/15, right? ;)

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews