• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What launcher are you using?

If you install other launcher, then can you uninstall TouchWiz? Otherwise its just installing more things.

Touchwiz is the default launcher and cannot be uninstalled. You can disable it in the settings, but I would recommend not too, considering if you ever tried to boot into Safe mode this mode would try to use Touchwiz and with it disabled it would not work.

Upvote 0
And if it doesn't affect the functionality/battery life, what difference does it make if it's "installing more things"?

Its like having two anti virus program on a computer. It just doesn't make sense. :)

Now if I come from a stock Android made by Google, then it would make sense to install a Launcher.

I just feel TouchWiz and Sense 5 are the Launcher.

Upvote 0
The stock android launcher is also a launcher. No different in principle, you'd still have 2 launchers installed.

However, we've seen a few people get caught out as follows:

1) install 3rd party launcher
2) remove stock launcher as "not needed"
3) have a problem, do a factory reset...

Result: no launcher, i.e. no desktop, no app drawer...

If you really want to uninstall the TW launcher, make sure you install the new one as a system app. And take a nandroid before you do either (it goes without saying that you are rooted if you can do any of this).

Upvote 0
Its like having two anti virus program on a computer. It just doesn't make sense. :)

Now if I come from a stock Android made by Google, then it would make sense to install a Launcher.

I just feel TouchWiz and Sense 5 are the Launcher.

So, by that theory, using a 3rd party keyboard, using any 3rd party widget apps for weather/clock, using a 3rd party audio player, etc, etc, etc...would all be like having 2 anti virus programs.

FYI - Vanilla Android is still a UI on top of the OS. The OEM's prepare there on UI's to place on top of the OS.

As far as the anti-virus example is concerned, I think that's a bit of an extreme example. The processes involved for an anti-virus program to function properly would affect performance negatively, but that's not the case with 3rd party launchers, so I go back to my original point: "If it's not affecting performance/battery life, what harm is there in using a 3rd party launcher on top of TouchWiz/Sense/Vanilla/etc.?"

Upvote 0
On the question of resource usage of two launchers vs. one obviously the extra launcher is going to take up space on the on-board flash storage but the amount of space is unlikely to be that high, perhaps the same a couple of photos or music tracks and this phone comes with loads of storage and the ability to expand it further with an SD card.

It does appear that, for the most part, the launcher is treated the same as any other app and loaded into RAM when first required and then cached until such time as the RAM is needed for something else. That does mean when you first activate a new launcher it will be in RAM along with the cached copy of the previous launcher but this is a temporary situation and you should see no slowing down of the phone on that account.

Back to the original question I have finally bit the bullet and gone for Nova Prime. Initially I had a problem with the Google Now widget only using half the space allocated to it on my home screen but this was when I had slightly increased the number of icons in the grid. Increasing the number still further to 7x5 seems to have mostly solved it. It is possible 8x5 may be better still but by then the icons are rather small & cramped for my taste.

Regarding the calendar widget I admit I was puzzled at first, then I was reminded that there are actually two calendar widgets. There is the one that comes as part of Samsung's variant of the calendar which seems to be wide and short and only displays the appointments for the current day and there is the stock Android calendar widget which tends to be taller and narrower and displays the next few appointments in a scrolling list. Of these I prefer the stock Android one and this seems to be still available when not using TouchWiz as the launcher unlike the first one.

Upvote 0
On the question of resource usage of two launchers vs. one obviously the extra launcher is going to take up space on the on-board flash storage but the amount of space is unlikely to be that high, perhaps the same a couple of photos or music tracks and this phone comes with loads of storage and the ability to expand it further with an SD card.

It does appear that, for the most part, the launcher is treated the same as any other app and loaded into RAM when first required and then cached until such time as the RAM is needed for something else. That does mean when you first activate a new launcher it will be in RAM along with the cached copy of the previous launcher but this is a temporary situation and you should see no slowing down of the phone on that account.

Back to the original question I have finally bit the bullet and gone for Nova Prime. Initially I had a problem with the Google Now widget only using half the space allocated to it on my home screen but this was when I had slightly increased the number of icons in the grid. Increasing the number still further to 7x5 seems to have mostly solved it. It is possible 8x5 may be better still but by then the icons are rather small & cramped for my taste.

Regarding the calendar widget I admit I was puzzled at first, then I was reminded that there are actually two calendar widgets. There is the one that comes as part of Samsung's variant of the calendar which seems to be wide and short and only displays the appointments for the current day and there is the stock Android calendar widget which tends to be taller and narrower and displays the next few appointments in a scrolling list. Of these I prefer the stock Android one and this seems to be still available when not using TouchWiz as the launcher unlike the first one.

Just a little trick I learned from again using one of my favorite apps Widgetsoid. Since Widgetsoid is a widget app, instead of placing an app directly on a homescreen, you can create a widgetsoid widget that opens up a specific app and place that on the homescreen. What's the difference? Well, this allows you to increase the homescreen grid (I use 11X11, I think), but instead of the app being shrunkin (due to the increased grid size), you can re-size the widgetsoid widget, so that it fits what would be considered the "standard" grid size for apps placed on the homescreen.

Just so I could show an example, I've created 2 different icons (both airdroid, one is just an app shortcut and the other is a widgetsoid widget):
2013-12-11-15-51-53.png

The icon on the right is just an app shortcut. The icon on the left is a widgetsoid widget, that I re-sized to fit the standard size of app icons. They function exactly the same, but the widget allows me to re-size however I want. Now, the other alternative would be to have the icons fit to the grid size, but of course this would show much smaller icons.

Just to give an idea of how useful widgetsoid can be, I created shortcut widgets for 4 video apps that I use frequently (used this for my Note 2 and currently on my Note 3). Since I prefer customizing theme colors myself, but I wanted to still be able to see my wallpaper in the background, I customized the widgets so that they would be big buttons, while the icons matched the color of my overall theme, and the background is transparent (so the wallpaper is still visible). All 4 widgets serve the same purpose as the small icons, except they are much easier to press, since the widget is clickable anywhere in the rectangular shape:

Screenshot_2012-11-28-16-24-58.png

Upvote 0
Not sure how many people are aware of this (there's plenty of other similar apps too) but if you want to use the Touchwiz Launcher but would also like to use some icons from an icon pack it is possible without being rooted using a Play Store app called Folder Organizer. After changing an icon using the app, place a shortcut where you want the app and select the last option. Unfortunately it will not theme the icon anywhere else.
aby8yvyz.jpg

ateqeqe7.jpg

Upvote 0
Someone said Nova Launcher require "Nearly 90 / 100 Mb of cpu ram necessary for this to work... "

Is that too much?

Whether that's too much is probably up to you to decide, but the Note 3 comes with 3072MB RAM total so even at 100MB it's only taking up 3% of your RAM. It's possible that TouchWiz occupies even more than Nova Prime.

Upvote 0
Like TW, Sense goes deeper than just the launcher. But I know that a Sense phone will work without the Sense launcher, which is just one app rather than the framework (was rosie.apk in Sense 1, is prism in Sense 5, don't know inbetween). I'd have thought it was the same with TWLauncher, though as many have said it's not really worth doing.

Upvote 0
Touchwiz is not just a launcher. It has ton of apps, widgets and UI elements in it. Even rooted, not sure if it's possible to remove just launcher without killing other things in touchwiz. I think Sense is the same way.

Majority of the Touchwiz software elements can still be used, when using a 3rd party launcher. There are some widgets that can't be used and some homescreen gestures that don't work, when switching, but the most important ones (for me), I've been able to re-create using Nova Prime.

Upvote 0
Majority of the Touchwiz software elements can still be used, when using a 3rd party launcher. There are some widgets that can't be used and some homescreen gestures that don't work, when switching, but the most important ones (for me), I've been able to re-create using Nova Prime.

What I meant is to remove/uninstall launcher part of TW to use other launcher like chong76 is thinking. Just pointing out that is very difficult if not impossible.

Of course using other launcher along with TW should be absolutely fine. Launchers like Nova, Holo HD seem very light on the resource.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I meant, have you ever actually used a launcher before?

Yes I have use a Launcher before. Nova is the best. Apex was OK.

Go Launcher has the most theme you can choose to install. It is free. I didn't like it.

The thing with Launcher is you want to have a nice count on your phone call, email and txt msg ICON. The Telsa plug in has this. The stock Android by Google do not give you this count option. These are short comings on stock Google and that's why we need all these Launcher.

Upvote 0
Yes I have use a Launcher before. Nova is the best. Apex was OK.

Go Launcher has the most theme you can choose to install. It is free. I didn't like it.

The thing with Launcher is you want to have a nice count on your phone call, email and txt msg ICON. The Telsa plug in has this. The stock Android by Google do not give you this count option. These are short comings on stock Google and that's why we need all these Launcher.

I'm confused though. You seem to draw arguments about y it's not good to use a launcher, which I personally don't agree with, but contradict yourself by saying they are needed?

Upvote 0
I'm confused though. You seem to draw arguments about y it's not good to use a launcher, which I personally don't agree with, but contradict yourself by saying they are needed?

Yes I do believe the stock Google is just not that great. That's why we need TouchWiz, Sense or any other Launcher.

It makes more sense to use Launcher on a stock Google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones