• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What 'MUST HAVE' features would you want from your next phone?

2fasst

Jan 14, 2010
Just curious what what features everyone 'must' have?

For me:

-External memory or SD card. This is the main reason I switched away from the iPhone. You can't back anything up without an external memory slot and must rely on iTunes. (we already have this)

-Physical keyboard (we already have this)

-more ROM

-user replaceable battery (we already have this)

-a more 'polished' UI. What we have now 'works', but the UI can be more polished. Menus and options needs to be accessible with less drill downs and need to more consistent.

-even faster processor :)

Not to be all sappy, but the Droid is almost the perfect phone for me. I just don't use or need the physical keyboard, so my "must NOT have" for my next phone will be a physical keyboard. Heh.

Polished UI, faster processor, more memory, etc are all givens... Those things are just evolutionary features that get "upgraded" as new phones comes out. They're not "must haves" for me, but I do expect that in 2 years, my next phone will have them.

Upvote 0
Better utilization of the GPU. Currently the Android OS doesn't make satisfactory use of the GPU like iPhone OS. But that's coming, since Google released the NDK that'll make more use of the GPUs on these devices. Honestly, if there were more GPU utilization, we wouldn't be clamoring for faster CPUs and more "refinement." Oh, and of course, encrypted Apps2SD.

Upvote 0
- Better physical keyboard; the Droid's physical keyboard is still my input method of choice but something with more feel to the keys would be even better
- 4.3" screen- Nice and spacious, and it would allow the physical keyboard to be bigger too! :)
- 4G- I'm not switching until I can get 4G on Sprint or Verizon's networks
- Trackball/trackpad- The Droid's d-pad doesn't do much for me. Give me an illuminated trackball/pad any day.

Basically I want the HTC EVO with a trackball and keyboard. :)

Upvote 0
Not to be all sappy, but the Droid is almost the perfect phone for me. I just don't use or need the physical keyboard, so my "must NOT have" for my next phone will be a physical keyboard. Heh.

Polished UI, faster processor, more memory, etc are all givens... Those things are just evolutionary features that get "upgraded" as new phones comes out. They're not "must haves" for me, but I do expect that in 2 years, my next phone will have them.

Agreed, except ... front-facing camera!

Upvote 0
-no physical keyboard
-larger screen
-forward facing camera
-trackball/trackpad
-hdmi would be nice... but i really doubt i would use it much
-4g
-internal memory (like 8gb or something)
-fm tuner would be nice... fm transmitter would be better (like my Archos 5 IT)
This plus much better camera and a mobile DTV tuner..I can dream:) 2x battery life would be nice, but im not holding my breath.

Upvote 0
Yup, they really are must have features... OK, maybe not the camera but the rest of it had damned well better be in there!
  • A better keyboard
  • Faster network (step it up Verizon or you are fired!)
  • Video out
  • Faster/Better camera (not necessarily more resolution, just don't be a peice of crap like it is now, OK?)
  • Real hands free
  • Keep the Gorilla Glass
  • better touch screen
  • the four buttons at the bottom should be hard buttons, not softbuttons as they are now
  • The screen can get a little bit larger, but it's big enough for me

Upvote 0
-yeah front facing camera would be nice
-a little bit larger Super OLED screen :)
-4G...but that would be dictated by the service provider
-a better keyboard
-maybe a thermometer would be neat

I do love the aluminum body of the current Droid thought..not cheap like HTCs.

The body of the Devour is even nicer to me; the Devour is just a crappy phone. ;)

• the four buttons at the bottom should be hard buttons, not softbuttons as they are now

I don't think many (any?) Android phones have hard buttons for Back/Menu/Home/Search. While I'd like them as well, I don't see them happening.

Even MORE than those though, I want physical send/end buttons and an illuminated trackball!!!

Upvote 0
Even MORE than those though, I want physical send/end buttons and an illuminated trackball!!!

OMG! That is what I meant! My evil Droid has me so twisted up, that I forgot what the Send/End buttons were called! I would ditch the 4 that I asked for to have those back. I never really got to use a trackball to experience what those who ask for it feel about this.

Upvote 0
Open/hackable OS framework for plentiful mods.
Masculine/Industrial phsyical design
HD quality screen around 4"...not much bigger. (not this underhanded BS the N1 is currently pulling)
POCKETABLE

Pretty much everything else (processor, memory, feature upgrades) is a given.

Are you being sarcastic with that? The droid has a Masculine/Industrial phsyical design, it has an hd screen almost 4 inches, and the most open and hackable OS around? Now name other features you do not already have lol

Upvote 0
I'm pretty happy with it the way it is. Could use another .5 inches worth of screen (at the same pixel density!) and a bit more RAM/ROM, but otherwise, I'm satisfied. :shrug:

OH! One thing! External battery charging terminals like the N1, so I don't have to futz around with the mini USB just to charge it. This was never an issue on my older "dumb" phones because they got plugged in once a week. This hoss called Droid gets plugged in 4-5-6 times a day just to keep it topped up for when I really need a battery.

Upvote 0
I varied once from Motorola (my HTC Touch Pro) and for every reason that I dropped HTC, I'm going to stick with Motorola for my next phone. Motorola makes good hardware. The Droid may not have a flashy clock or video-out capabilities, but it is built like a tank and it shines because of it.

I definitely have to have Gorilla Glass or better on my next phone.

Video out on the Droid would have been nice, but not necessary.

Better battery life is always a plus (JIT in 2.2 will help), but if you think Android is a battery hog, just try a Windows Mobile phone for a day.

Upvote 0
I love my Droid, but still wish the phone features would act more like my old cellphone. I miss the call missed and voice mail waiting reminder vibrations. I find I have to check my home screen far more often to make sure I haven't missed a call or voice mail. Using the Droid in sunlight still an issue -- although I live in upstate NY -- so sadly not an issue that often.:(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones