1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support What next ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mdma415, Oct 19, 2011.

1. mdma415

mdma415 Lurker
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    So I got the esteem right when it came out pretty much. It;s my first android phone, so I'm very new to this whole rooting thing. But I updated the prl and rooted it yesterday. The whole thing went smooth, but now I find myself asking what to do next lol. I have superuser, but what now? That app doesn't do anything lol

So if someone could please help me out here I'd really appreciate it

And I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section.

Thank You

Advertisement

2. kevinrubio

kevinrubio Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Student
    Atlanta, GA
    now you download market apps needed ;)
    superuser by itself doesnt do much if you dont have a rooted source to be used.

3. jzebrahockey

jzebrahockey Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    Male
    IT for a credit union and freelance computer repai
    La Habra, CA
    What's next? Pretty much anything. First off go to www.umnet.com you can find many apps for android there. Some useful apps to google are root explorer, APN OnOff, Absolute System, AdFree, SD Speed Increase, Advanced Task Killer, Seal, Waze, Spy Phone, Extreme Call Blocker, CacheMate, Screen Shot It, App 2 SD Pro, Quadrant Standard, SetCPU, Speed Test, Terminal Emulator, Lookout, Plan B. Not all are root apps but I find them very handy and you can do a lot with them. Soon there will be custom recoveries and roms for this phone. People are working on them now so be patient it takes time. Enjoy your phone. You can change the boot animation with Abolute System and the font on your phone plus more. You can also change the boot sound on your phone with root explorer by navigating to /system/sounds/power. You can copy the name of the MetroPCS_PowerOn.mp3 file to a song or sound clip that you like and rename the original file to mp3old so you still have it on the phone and copy the new sound with the changed name above to this folder and you will have a custom boot sound. Make sure when you are in root explorer and in the power folder to click the Mount R/W button on the top right so that you can rename and copy the new file in.

4. kevinrubio

None

May 9, 2011
    Student
    Atlanta, GA
    Some/many apps on that site are pirated versions of market apps...
    The android forums do not support or deals with Piracy .

5. Aplus

Aplus Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    Bay Area
    Not to mention that if you really use/enjoy the app you should support the devs. A lot of them make great apps and see little to no monetary gain. Also, most (not all) put out free/trial versions so you can test the app out before you buy and a lot of them will go far beyond google's 15 minute return policy.

Support your Android developers, people!

6. jzebrahockey

jzebrahockey Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    Male
    IT for a credit union and freelance computer repai
    La Habra, CA
    Yes definitely purchase apps and support the devs. I was just giving a link to a site that has free apps as well as wallpapers and paid apps. I was not saying to download and install the paid apps at all. Just wanted to make that clear.

7. kevinrubio

None

May 9, 2011
    Student
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes as Aplus stated,
    and jzebrahockey we know that you didn't actually say to pirate an app, but when you post a link of that link it usual states that it has free premium applications that dev's worked hard on . Thanks though, just letting you know ;)

8. mdma415

mdma415 Lurker
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks everyone for the help :) I now have some cool apps, and having rooted my phone is starting to seem much more worthwhile.. I do intend on buying the paid versions when I have the funds, but are the free versions just as good ?.. or good enough rather ? lol. Thanks

9. kevinrubio

None

May 9, 2011
    Student
    Atlanta, GA
    Of coarse lol, the free trials of the paid version

10. nuked

nuked Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 9, 2011
    Free versions let you (usually) try alot of the features out of a paid app, and hopefully let you determine if the app is worth the price. Some free apps are just ad supported and do not have a paid version and some apps do not have even have a free version. These unfortunatley will have to be bought to determine if they will work for you, or check the app feedback and see if its worth it or not.

For example, Tasker is one I want really bad BUT there is no free version, it costs 7 bux and there are mixed reviews (only about it's high complexity and not its awesome usability)

Tags: