1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root What next?!?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scoutelicious, Dec 22, 2013.

1. scoutelicious

scoutelicious Lurker
    None

Dec 21, 2013
    Female
    England, UK
    Hi

I was hoping someone who knows what they are talking about can help me!

Yesterday I rooted my phone. I know it was successful as I now have superuser access.

To be honest its a miracle I managed to do it, as I literally have no idea what i'm doing. It took me around 10 hours (ha!)

The reason I wanted to do it, is because I have been finding my HTC Wildfire S A510e infuriating on a daily basis. Constant memory problems due to the restrictions. A bit of background info: it is running on HTC Sense 2.1 and Android 2.3.5

What I would like to do is install an up to date version of android, i'm not really sure what the HTC sense thing means (is that an operating system? I thought that's what android was...), I want my phone to be stable, I dont want there to be too much upkeep as I normally dont have internet access. I dont want to have to update and change things manually after i've sorted things out this time.

I want good performance (in that, I want the camera to not take 20 seconds to start up, by which time my photo subject has moved). I want to be able to install things in the usual way using play store (I think this is why I need to keep on the android operating system, rather than cyanogen and all that other jazzy stuff?). I have had a thorough look on these boards, read all the definitions etc but still dont know what to do, or how. I dont know if I need to find a special kernel?

I liked all of the features on my phone pre-root, and I had everything I needed. I just hated the memory problem.

If anyone can shed any light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Nope. Memory problems due to the lack of memory in the phone.

Which may or may not have anything to do with rooting. You can flash a ROM (install a new version of Android) on an unrooted phone.

Sense is the user interface - how the various parts of the software are presented to you. HTC has Sense, Samsung has TouchWiz, etc. Android is the operating system.

Then get a feature phone. It takes and makes calls, takes and makes texts. A smartphone (Android or iPhone) needs constant care, until you get it set up the way you need, limited by the phone's capabilities.

Then you want a phone with a faster CPU and more RAM, not a different version of Android (that was probably written for a newer phone, so it'll slow yours down).

Cyanogen is a different ROM, not a different operating system - it's still Android, and Play works just fine on it.

And the only solution to that is either a Gingerbread ROM that uses the SD card as internal memory (and since I don't have an HTC, I don't know if anyone wrote one, but you might check at Area51 - Index ) or a phone with more memory.