• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What, no voicemail app!!

jbcamel

Jul 15, 2012
Just switched from a Galaxy s4 to a Galaxy s8 and was very unhappy to discover there is no voicemail app. The only notification I get that I have a voicemail is a single sound, which if I missed the call I miss this notification. There is a teeny tiny icon at the top of the screen that indicates a voicemail. Other than that, no notification and no app. I tried to see if I could repeat the sound notification every 15 minutes or so but couldn't find anything.

I was told that Samsung doesn't have a voicemail app for the Samsung S8. My carrier is Credo. They use the Sprint network.

Does anyone have a voicemail app for the S8 that works?

AFAIK voicemail is provided by dialling into a dedicated number using the phone app and it's provided by the carrier on their network. Although I don't know how Sprint or Credo does it of course. Maybe they have their own specific voicemail apps you can download and install? I presume your S8 isn't a carrier version, and they didn't supply it?

Reactions: A bochur
Upvote 0
It does show the full notification on the pull down screen. Problem is the text is so tiny I can't read it without my reading glasses. Same problem for voicemail icon on status bar on top of screen. Old phone had a regular size voicemail icon on home screen that had an orange circle with a number in it when I had voice mail. Also the phone icon would indicate if I'd missed a call. This phone has neither. It has the same phone icon but it doesn't have any notification indicator.

I searched for an app that I could use but can't find one for Sprint unless I create an entire new voicemail system on another company's server. I don't like that idea.

They don't make it easy on us old folks who want to stay tech savvy!!

Reactions: PitCarver
Upvote 0
It's been a while since this was first posted. I wondered if Samsung had heard our complaints and come out with a working voicemail app? My problem is I turn my phone off at night. When I turn it on, if I have voicemail, there is one short sound but no visual notification. If the phone is on when I miss a call the phone app icon shows a missed call. My Samsung S4 had a voicemail app that indicated that I had messages on the icon. Can't understand why they took that away.

My carrier is Sprint and they don't have anything that works on my S8.

Upvote 0
I've never owned a phone that had a "voicemail app", and am still not complerely clear what such an app would do. But I'm pretty sure that my phone shows a visible indicator on the phone icon if I have voicemail (Pixel 2 using Nova Launcher and the TeslaUnread plugin), and I'm surprised that you don't have at least a "badge" on your phone app. What Android version are you running? I'd have thought that with 8.0 you should be able to get it to post a "badge" like that, unless Samsung have done something odd and not associated the voicemail notification to the phone app.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Instead of using an installed app, try setting up your voicemail through your actual cell service. If you go to Credo's help site for your phone:
http://www.credomobile.com/support/phones/GalaxyS8/First-Steps.aspx
and click on the 'Set up your voicemail' link it shows the following steps:
  1. Call *86 from the device (or dial your phone number from another phone).
  2. Follow the audio prompts to select a language.
  3. You will be prompted to enter your password. Enter it then press the # key.
  4. When prompted, say your name then press the # key.
  5. Press the # key to confirm the recording of your name.
  6. You will then be prompted for a greeting. Once your greeting is complete, press the # key.
  7. Press the # key to confirm your greeting.

Upvote 0
One carrier does offer a voicemail app, at least. It's Verizon, and they make you pay for it monthly. Terrible idea.

However, you can sign up for Google Voice for free and route your voicemail through that. Not only will it give you a notification in your notification bar, the Voice app can generally be configured to show the new message badge. And the addition killer feature is that Google will transcribe the messages (not completely accurately, but well enough to know what's going on) and send you a text or email with that transcription.

However, Google Voice is slightly tricky to set up, so you may not care for it. Here are some pertinent directions how to sign up for Google Voice and set up voice mail:
https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...oicemail-your-unlocked-android-phone-0183511/
Since that article is a couple years old, you may need to set up the voicemail with this procedure:
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en

Upvote 0
Needs to be noted that by using Google Voice you'll be relying on the Google Voice phone number, not your primary cell phone number (your Credo service). I love Google Voice, and all the features it provides, but unless you're willing to maintain two different contact numbers it might not be the best choice. The least friction is to just set up your voicemail using Credo's instructions. I had to go through the same basic process using Ting -- there's no voicemail app now, 'voicemail' just gets folded into your default phone dialer app.

Upvote 0
Needs to be noted that by using Google Voice you'll be relying on the Google Voice phone number,

It's actually better than this. I have Google Voice set up to take voice messages on my main number (as well as the Google Voice number that I also use). It's a setting in the innards of Google Voice by which main number calls that aren't answered roll over to the GV system for messages and transcriptions. If you don't want to use the GV number (which is handy for other reasons), you should still be able to have the system manage your voice messages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones