1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root What now?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Starlight652, May 25, 2011.

1. Starlight652

Starlight652 Lurker
    None

May 24, 2011
    Palm Springs CA
    I got my phone two days ago and have managed to root it via z4root and using Terminal Emulator I hid the bloatware (Blockbuster, Kindle, and so on). Still getting use to everything as this is my first smartphone so please be forgiving. I guess there was an update released yesterday for 2.3.340 and currently I'm sitting on 2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.us not sure if that matters but when I attempt to perform the update it reboots and notifies me that the update has failed. Is it due to me hiding the apps? Is it a good idea to update to .340? I'm not sure what else other people would recommend other than a backup via Titanium Backup. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement

2. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010

1. That update was released months ago
    2. Yes, it is a good idea to update because you're going to get an update to Gingerbread starting Friday and it won't work unless you're on .340
    3. Yes, it failed because you got rid of the bloatware
    4. If you have Titanium Backup there is no need to use terminal emulator to get rid of bloat...you can freeze it with Titanium
    5. I might suggest upgrading to a rooted version of one of the leaked Gingerbread versions (.595 specifically) so you can be ready for the official release of GB at the end of the week

3. Starlight652

Starlight652 Lurker
    None

May 24, 2011
    Palm Springs CA
    Wow wasn't expecting such a quick response time. Ok so I'll just rename the hidden apps and go from there. I was using the free version of Titanium Backup which doesn't have the the freeze feature. Yeah I know its only like two bucks but two more than I have at the moment to account for the new phone bill. So I'll get to reading up on switching to Gingerbread. Thank you

4. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Missing/uninstalled/frozen apps is one of the main reasons that OTA fails. We've seen it happen every time an OTA update comes out.

5. F3AR

F3AR Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    CA
    You will not be able to update to the official Gingerbread when they release it if you are on any of the leaked Gingerbread as previously stated. You have to be on an unrooted .340 to receive the update on Firday.

6. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    If you just got your phone might I suggest you get better acquainted with it for a few weeks before you start making drastic changes. While you are doing that check out all the great guides we have here.

One of the first steps we have begun to tell others is to learn how to SBF your phone should anything go wrong. That being said I would unfreeze your bloatware and get the update to 2.3.340 ( Android 2.2.1). Then freeze your crapware. Personally I wouldn't let the DX get the Official Gingerbread release until our devs have a chance to get a working SBF file and get it rooted.

Learn all you can while you're waiting. Once you are ready to join the world of Gingerbread we will be here to guide you through the process.