1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What PC games do you think would work well if ported?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by hansschmucker, Jul 30, 2011.

1. hansschmucker

hansschmucker Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2011
    First of all, no: I'm not saying that I want to port them or that there's any chance of a port happening at all - this is just a what-if type question.

It's not about which games you want to be available, or think will be available, it's about which games you think would work best and not appear out of place if ported to smartphones (tablets obviously have different needs, so we'll ignore them for now) with only minimal changes. Don't post just the name of the game, also say why you think it would work so well:

For me, the best example would be Incubation:
    Incubation Overview - Blue Byte Software
    [​IMG]
    Incubation is a turn-based 3D strategy game with a limited supply of units on mostly small maps. Turn-based means that there's no rush to do your move, which is a plus on small screens as the limited precision of a touch screen means that selecting units in a hurry is not much fun. The small fields and limited number of units (about 3 to 5) means that the time between moves is short, making it feel much less passive than other turn-based games. The 3D camera allows you to get a good overview, even with limited screen space.

The interface would need some basic adjustments, specifically camera (the buttons on the right side of the screen) and system options (left side of the screen) would have to move to sub-menus, but the essential amount of information is quite fitting for a small screen as you only ever see the data of one (the selected) unit.

Attached Files:

Advertisement

Aardvark1971 likes this.
  2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Newbie
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Pizza place cook...
    Indiana
    Eden's Aegis would be AWESOME to see on a mobile device... if the devs did it right, it could be the top of the top for Android shmups!

And Koumajou Densetsu II!!!!

3. hansschmucker

None

Apr 22, 2011
    What are these and why do you think they would work well? The images I've seen remind me of Noiz2sa, but I doubt that's any more helpful to most people.

4. Asica

Asica Newbie
    None

Jul 16, 2011
    Melaka, Malaysia
  5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Newbie
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Pizza place cook...
    Indiana
    Eden's Aegis is an older bullet hell shmup, freeware... I really think it would work well because, well... Android devices can handle it now... and really... there's not many good shmups in the Android market... Cave games won't work out on Android devices just yet, but I really think some older, popular, freeware bullet hell games, if ported to the Android, could really make a HUGE impact on shmups created for the device in the future. =o)

As for Koumajou Densetsu II, it's like Castlevania... another type of game that's not really being thrown into the Android market. There's literally no metroidvania games for us Android users... it would just be nice to see some. Koumajou Densetsu II is a GREAT one. =o)

6. hansschmucker

None

Apr 22, 2011
    Do you think Koumajou Densetsu II would really work that well? From the video I've seen it looks like the player is already struggling with a real keyboard/joypad: Seems to me like it would totally unplayable with imprecise and less responsive virtual controls...

I've never really played Theme Hospital... why do you think it would work well? To me it seems a bit too hectic to be enjoyable on a small screen, but like I said: I never really played it.

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Newbie
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Pizza place cook...
    Indiana
    yeah, doesn't really matter... they're not going to get ported...

But maybe in the vid you watched, someone didn't really know what they were doing? I've got no problems playing with my usb controller... and as for imprecise virtual controls... that's only if the devs make them imprecise... I've got plenty of platformer games that run just fine with virtual controls... left/right button, jump, attack, special... that's all you'd need... and I really would have total faith that the devs of KDII could pull it off just judging by how good of a game it really is...

Oh well...

Yup... guessing tap adventure games and crap is what would "work well" for you... =o/

8. ASCI Blue

ASCI Blue Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    donkey.bas

9. hansschmucker

None

Apr 22, 2011
    Hehe, agreed. You can't ever have enough Scorched-Earth type games :)