• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What phone do you plan on upgrading to?

I'm looking into the Droid DNA. I've got the VZW GNex with 32 GB, so 16GB is really going to cramp my style. 11 GB usable is what I'm reading.
Even if I switched off Verizon for the phone I really want, the Nexus 4, I'd be limited to on device storage with no expandable memory.
But then I'm hit with the reality of the reason I stay with Verizon despite their prices. I get service EVERYWHERE.

So by March, when I'm up for upgrade, my personal options are Droid DNA or Galaxy S3.

Edit: when does the S4 come out, and will it have an unlockable bootloader?

Upvote 0
I'm looking into the Droid DNA. I've got the VZW GNex with 32 GB, so 16GB is really going to cramp my style. 11 GB usable is what I'm reading.
Even if I switched off Verizon for the phone I really want, the Nexus 4, I'd be limited to on device storage with no expandable memory.
But then I'm hit with the reality of the reason I stay with Verizon despite their prices. I get service EVERYWHERE.

So by March, when I'm up for upgrade, my personal options are Droid DNA or Galaxy S3.

Edit: when does the S4 come out, and will it have an unlockable bootloader?

Given what happened with the S3 and the Note 2, I imagine that the bootloader on Verizon will come locked. Whether it gets cracked like S3 and Note 2 did, we'll have to wait an see. I'm sure Adam Outler will give it his best shot.

Upvote 0
Given what happened with the S3 and the Note 2, I imagine that the bootloader on Verizon will come locked. Whether it gets cracked like S3 and Note 2 did, we'll have to wait an see. I'm sure Adam Outler will give it his best shot.

Well, I might wait for the S4 and hope Samsung leaks the unlock for the bootloader like they did for the S3.

Upvote 0
Well, I might wait for the S4 and hope Samsung leaks the unlock for the bootloader like they did for the S3.

It's a pitty, because I don't think there many if any smartphones available at subsidized prices that were brand new on Verizon in 2012. It seems they finally got every oem to offer locked down versions of their devices for them. At least certain phones have dev versions available, but I can't imagine a lot of people buy them. I would like to see how many dev S3s, Note 2s, Razr M and/or Razr HDs were sold.

Upvote 0
I'm not paying $600 for a phone. You can get a fully functional computer for less than that.
And after having a phone with an unlockable bootloader, the Galaxy Nexus, I never want a locked down phone again. So yeah, I might just sick with this phone until it's obsolete.

Carrier subsidies might be starting to become a thing of the past. T mobile is dumping them, and I've seen reports of Verizon at least contemplating the same. I'll look for one and update this with a link.

Upvote 0
Carrier subsidies might be starting to become a thing of the past. T mobile is dumping them, and I've seen reports of Verizon at least contemplating the same. I'll look for one and update this with a link.

I'm hoping this leads to lower phone prices as people learn just how much they are actually paying for their phones, and also having various retailers compete on phone prices.

Upvote 0
1. developer edition phones are a bunch of BS for the stat sheet! Release a dev ed S3 4 months after then regular release, really, it took you months to do that when we unlocked it in literally no time, gtfo with that lol.

2. Phone prices wont go down for years i think. If a phone is $100 on contract and $400 full price, then im sure you can expect something like $300 price for it. They wouldnt do it if they werent going make money off it.

3. Sad to see companies put out marginally better phones every few months. Rarz < Razr Maxx < Razr Maxx Hd < Razr Maxx Hd2 < Razr Maxx Hd 3D < Razr2 Maxx Hdx Quattro Plus. just an example for those wondering what i meant lmao.

Upvote 0
Whenever a Nexus phone, that is also 4G, becomes available on AT&T, I am going to switch. And pay whatever termination fee is due at that time.

I've had it with Verizon.

I never wanted to be with vzw, but they bought the market. I think a lot of ppl feel the same as you and I. Vzw is just a run the well dry monstrosity now seems like.

Upvote 0
The Sony Xperia Z looks pretty freakin cool. I'm in absolutely no rush to swap phones though, my nexus feels like a brand new machine.

I'm still running with my Unlimited Data plan, but I'm not using even close to 2GB... If the Galaxy S4 comes out and knocks me off my feet, I'd consider making the jump.

Like it or not, they WILL get us off our Unlimited Data plans eventually.

Upvote 0
The Sony Xperia Z looks pretty freakin cool. I'm in absolutely no rush to swap phones though, my nexus feels like a brand new machine.

I'm still running with my Unlimited Data plan, but I'm not using even close to 2GB... If the Galaxy S4 comes out and knocks me off my feet, I'd consider making the jump.

Like it or not, they WILL get us off our Unlimited Data plans eventually.

OH yea, the unlimited days are limited...!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I'm not paying $600 for a phone. You can get a fully functional computer for less than that.
And after having a phone with an unlockable bootloader, the Galaxy Nexus, I never want a locked down phone again. So yeah, I might just sick with this phone until it's obsolete.

Except that our phones are fully functional Linux systems running Android, so it IS a fully functional computer. Short of power oriented tasks like CAD or professional video editing, there is very little these phones can't possibly do (and they are more limited by the form factor then hardware capabilities).

Either way, $600 is still plenty cheap (relatively speaking). In some countries, phone's are worth somewhere near a grand or more in US Dollars.

Upvote 0
I'll probably wait on the Nexus 5 and leave Verizon. My contract is up in August and the N5 will probably be released around October/November.

I'm dissatisfied with Verizon's delayed updates for my GNex. I don't thing their coverage is really that much better than the other service options to justify the extra monthly cost and frustration with them meddling in what was supposed to be a pure Android phone. I've had almost all vanilla Android phones (MT3G, N1, and GNex) and intend on keeping with that trend. Most likely getting every other Nexus that comes out, unless other vanilla phones start coming out.

Hopefully the low cost, off contract pricing for the N4 will be the same for the N5. I would love to be contract free and have the flexibility to choose my service anytime I want. Cell service is a commodity now, and the carriers are fighting like mad to stop the average consumer from recognizing it. I love the fact that Google offered the N4 as a reasonably priced option to empower the consumer to have freedom. With any luck, the concept will catch on.

Upvote 0
I'll probably wait on the Nexus 5 and leave Verizon. My contract is up in August and the N5 will probably be released around October/November.

I'm dissatisfied with Verizon's delayed updates for my GNex. I don't thing their coverage is really that much better than the other service options to justify the extra monthly cost and frustration with them meddling in what was supposed to be a pure Android phone. I've had almost all vanilla Android phones (MT3G, N1, and GNex) and intend on keeping with that trend. Most likely getting every other Nexus that comes out, unless other vanilla phones start coming out.

Hopefully the low cost, off contract pricing for the N4 will be the same for the N5. I would love to be contract free and have the flexibility to choose my service anytime I want. Cell service is a commodity now, and the carriers are fighting like mad to stop the average consumer from recognizing it. I love the fact that Google offered the N4 as a reasonably priced option to empower the consumer to have freedom. With any luck, the concept will catch on.

Me, too. My plan is stay with the Nexus line, and get off Verizon. So whenever I can get a 4G device on AT&T that is Nexus, I'll probably do it.

I'm not sure they're going to call it Nexus 5 -- I think the 4 is signifying the size or something. The way Nexus 7 is the small tablet and the Nexus 10 is the big tablet.

Upvote 0
On VZW, it might be a bit of a wait... really digging the GNex 13 months on. Hopefully motorola/google will come out with some cool stuff within the next year or so and will have a good VZW device to upgrade to.

I'd like to have this phone for another couple of years if the hardware lasts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones