• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What phone should I get?

tyson505

Lurker
Apr 23, 2012
Hey guys, I'm new to this thread. But I am upgrading my phone soon (I have an iPhone and its been okay). I want to get either an iPhone 4S or the XPeria Play. Yes, I know there is a huge gap between these phones, one being 99 cents and the other being 199 dollars. But my friend has the XPeria, and I think its a really cool phone, has decent battery life, good os, and its quite fast. And on the other hand, there is the iPhone, which I would get so I could just sync over all my music, contacts, and apps. But I'm tired of the iPhone, because the os hasnt really changed at all, and the screen size is still a wimpy 3.5 inch... But also another reason I would get the iPhone is because of its 8 megapixel camera, retina display, and dual core processor. So this is what I am asking, processor and GPU wise, will the iPhone be faster and better at games then the XPeria? I've heard that the drivers on the XPeria are optimised, making the gpu perform better. Also, since the xperia is only a single core, will it be slow and outdated soon? And if so, could you list some other good AT&T android devices (not the galaxy note though, I really want that phone, but its out of my budget :(...)

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Between the iPhone and the Xperia I would suggest the Xperia for gaming.

However, If you are in the $200 price range, might I suggest a few different Androids that might be more useful for your needs?

My suggestion is that you visit a local store & check out the HTC Rezound, the Google Galaxy Nexus, and the Motorola Droid Razr MAXX. Several of those models sport high resolution displays similar to the iPhone & have other significant advantages.

I hope I have helped you today =)

~ ArmyX

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I'm new to this thread. But I am upgrading my phone soon (I have an iPhone and its been okay). I want to get either an iPhone 4S or the XPeria Play. Yes, I know there is a huge gap between these phones, one being 99 cents and the other being 199 dollars. But my friend has the XPeria, and I think its a really cool phone, has decent battery life, good os, and its quite fast. And on the other hand, there is the iPhone, which I would get so I could just sync over all my music, contacts, and apps. But I'm tired of the iPhone, because the os hasnt really changed at all, and the screen size is still a wimpy 3.5 inch... But also another reason I would get the iPhone is because of its 8 megapixel camera, retina display, and dual core processor. So this is what I am asking, processor and GPU wise, will the iPhone be faster and better at games then the XPeria? I've heard that the drivers on the XPeria are optimised, making the gpu perform better. Also, since the xperia is only a single core, will it be slow and outdated soon? And if so, could you list some other good AT&T android devices (not the galaxy note though, I really want that phone, but its out of my budget :(...)

The xperia is a slower processor. It's got less ram. The OS is more customizable, especially if you root. Dont do the software update if you intend to root.. 285 hasn't been yet. The xperia also has a separate and dedicated video card vs. doing it all on the processor... video should be just as responsive as compared to the 4gs. Personally, I like the droid better than IOS, and both less than webos (RIP Palm), but it's all a matter of personal preferences. Get a hold of one and play with it.. then decide. It might be the perfect phone for you, or it could be absolutely wrong for you. It all depends on what your expectations and uses for the phone is. I have a PC for real processing, my phone just has to place calls. The fact that it can check my corporate email, gmail, and play ps games is a bonus.. and I'll be luny if it deletes my progress on my game... but.. in then end.. I use my phone as a phone and either would have worked well for me.

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Between the iPhone and the Xperia I would suggest the Xperia for gaming.

However, If you are in the $200 price range, might I suggest a few different Androids that might be more useful for your needs?

My suggestion is that you visit a local store & check out the HTC Rezound, the Google Galaxy Nexus, and the Motorola Droid Razr MAXX. Several of those models sport high resolution displays similar to the iPhone & have other significant advantages.

I hope I have helped you today =)

~ ArmyX
Yea, I was very interested in the htc rezound, which has an amazing display, but i'm with AT&T and I dont want to lose my number, lol. And I would really like the razr maxx because its battery life, and the fact that it has a huge battery without being extremely thick. and right now, my family is kind of tight on money, so my parents are giving me 50 bucks, but i have 150 with my own money, so the most I can go is 200 pretty much, but I dont want to spend all of it on a phone, haha. oh, and for the galaxy nexus, ive heard ice cream sandwhich has had many bugs on that phone.

Upvote 0
The xperia is a slower processor. It's got less ram. The OS is more customizable, especially if you root. Dont do the software update if you intend to root.. 285 hasn't been yet. The xperia also has a separate and dedicated video card vs. doing it all on the processor... video should be just as responsive as compared to the 4gs. Personally, I like the droid better than IOS, and both less than webos (RIP Palm), but it's all a matter of personal preferences. Get a hold of one and play with it.. then decide. It might be the perfect phone for you, or it could be absolutely wrong for you. It all depends on what your expectations and uses for the phone is. I have a PC for real processing, my phone just has to place calls. The fact that it can check my corporate email, gmail, and play ps games is a bonus.. and I'll be luny if it deletes my progress on my game... but.. in then end.. I use my phone as a phone and either would have worked well for me.

yea, I was going to root it and put setCPU on it and see if i could overclock the processor a little and get a small speed boost. and also, im bored with my iphone, thats why i want an android. my iphone is jailbroken, and ive done different themes and all that, but its not really fun anymore. and yea, i have a custom build computer that i game on, and i game alot, thats why im looking for a good gaming phone. and i dont have the money right now for a ps vita...

Upvote 0
As a phone, I would suggest the HTC One X. In my humble opinion, it's the "phone to beat" this summer. Amazing specs, HD display, 8MP camera, beats audio, it's with AT&T, and it's $200 on-contract. =)

Between your two choices for gaming, I would still go with the Xperia Play. It's been more or less designed for gaming.

It sounds like you **really** want a PS Vita? Perhaps with a little more savings you could reach that goal?

Regardless, I hope you are happy with your ultimate choice.

~ ArmyX

Upvote 0
As a phone, I would suggest the HTC One X. In my humble opinion, it's the "phone to beat" this summer. Amazing specs, HD display, 8MP camera, beats audio, it's with AT&T, and it's $200 on-contract. =)

Between your two choices for gaming, I would still go with the Xperia Play. It's been more or less designed for gaming.

It sounds like you **really** want a PS Vita? Perhaps with a little more savings you could reach that goal?

~ ArmyX

no, i dont really want the vita, it currently doesnt have too many games out right now. i will check out the htc one x on gsm arena and see its specs. and also, i dont really want the vita because like 50 bucks for one game isnt too worth it.

Upvote 0

~ ArmyX

holy crap, i didnt know tegra 3 was already onto phones........... i think this might be the one. but with only 1800 mAh, i dont think a quad core will play nicely... and im not really a fan of the way htc themes android, lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones