1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What phones have the following features or support apps that do?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by m1ckDELTA, Jul 6, 2011.

1. m1ckDELTA

m1ckDELTA Newbie
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Production Sound
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm looking for my first smartphone. I've done some research and hope to add to it with this thread. The following features are what I'm most interested in. They are listed in order of importance.

Must have:

• All day battery life when using phone and text several times an hour, short intervals of internet browsing (maybe every couple of hours), and the occasional Skype video call. In addition I would occasionally watch some online video content like Netflix or Hulu and streaming podcasts
    • Handsfree bluetooth activation, from standby, of voice dialing that requires verbal confirmation before placing the call
    • Skype video support (dual camera)
    • GPS
    • Comprehensive bluetooth earpiece/headset support

Would be nice to have:

• Gingerbread
    • Netflix
    • 4G

Thanks for any replies.

Mick

Advertisement

2. m1ckDELTA

m1ckDELTA Newbie
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Production Sound
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've only got a few days remaining to exchange my Thunderbolt, I'm tired of venting about its shortcomings, so any help would be appreciated.

3. TwistedKitty

TwistedKitty Lurker
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    The Motorola Atrix does NOT do handsfree voice dialing unless it is unlocked and awake. It's a real shortcoming. Other than that, I like it a lot. It has dual cameras and GPS. Most of the time, the battery lasts all day, but I only play music when it's plugged in.

4. TwistedKitty

TwistedKitty Lurker
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    I finally figured out a way to use outgoing voice dialing and bluetooth, in the car, that is ALMOST handsfree. First I set the HOME key to go to Voice Command by double tapping it. Next, I set the phone to stay awake when plugged in. When I'm in the car, I keep my Atrix plugged in and awake. To make a call, I double tap the HOME key, which activates voice dialing in my visor mounted bluetooth unit. It's not ideal handsfree, but it's easy enough to do while driving..

5. dylo22

dylo22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    I think you'll have a hard time finding a phone that does video calls, stream netflix/hulu and get all day battery.

Are you relegated to verizon? If so, you only have a few choices. Also skype video calls on 3g/3g+ network is going to be pretty shoddy. Verizon's 4g lte is perfect for it, but they don't have a phone supports it at the moment, unless you root.

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I would suggest a phone with the largest capacity battery possible.

7. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    As always with battery life concerns:

You particular usage plays a major role in the battery life you will get. Do not count simply selecting the "right" device to address all your battery life concerns. Any device can be killed in a matter of a few hours with heavy usage. Any device can last all day with minimal usage. No matter which device you choose you need to analyze your usage and address your battery hogs.

If you use the display and 3G/4G for "hours" then you'll be using quite a bit of power as these are typical battery hogs for any device.

Any device should work for this. The limiting factor will be your bluetooth devices and what profiles they support (headset, A2DP, AVRCP).

Are you saying that you just need the device to have a GPS receiver? If so, that's easy. Look at the device specs. Pretty much any device will have a GPS receiver. Are you actually asking about specific apps? "GPS" by itself like this is extremely vague.