1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips What proper data cable do I need to transfer data to pc?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stripgaga, Sep 20, 2011.

1. stripgaga

stripgaga Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    So my stock Samsung infuse data cable broke because it's cheaply built. Went to AT&T store to personally order a new warranty requested cable. Waited a month for a replacement data cable that was never even ordered. Went in recently and the manager just gave me the AT&T zero charger that comes with wall dock and a micro usb cable that plugs into it.

Here's my problem. I used my stock samsung data cable to TRANSFER effing DATA between my pc and phone and even though I told the AT&T manager I needed a D A T A C A B L E, he gave me the zero charger. This being my first android phone, I assumed it would work to transfer data because it worked as a charger. I go to plug the micro usb cable included in the zero charger package with my phone attached and my computer does not recognize my phone as a mass storage device, it only charges it when attached to a pc. Weird, I thought. So I plugged the micro usb cable with my phone attached into my roommate's computer and same thing happens. It is not recognized as a mass storage device, it only acts as if it's a charger.

My question: Since AT&T is useless and cannot solve a simple problem of replacing a cable, can I just buy any other micro usb data cable online or will only the stock Samsung infuse data cable that was originally included my box work? My infuse model number is SGH-I997. I've seen them on amazon but only with like case bundles and other bundled accessories.

Advertisement

2. peterpp

peterpp Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 18, 2010
    USA
    Any micro USB cable would do.

3. surlypoker

surlypoker Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 13, 2011
    Think i have like four floating around home and work.. They all work for me..

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    any micro usb cable rated for data should do

some are rated for charging only or data only

5. andyinmichigan

None

Sep 24, 2011
    yup. micro usb. my charge/data cable was upstairs, and mt old nokia data cable was sitting here, so i said "well, it should work. yup, works just fine.