• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What rom are you preferings

dunbad

Apr 22, 2010
Ok not sure if this is the right forum but hey.
Now that I've FINALLY rooted and got rom manager on, what rom are people using?
1. What rom/version
2. Any issues?
3. You likey?
4. Better than what rom/version in your opinion because?

I'm using defrost 1.8 from rom manager
No issues for me yet including no echo in calls. Battery appears not too good but better than I was expecting considering its overclocked. Would suggest 20 percent down on standard, but still acceptable for me.

I likey alot! Its razor fast and I mean quick! bloody zippy as hell. Seems just as stable for me as 2.1. uninstalled flash however as it made the touch screen a little sluggish which I didn't like.

Not tried any others to compare to.

I only rooted about a week ago but the Defrost one is easily the best IMO.

Very stable, very few bugs. Also it's on 2.0a which has fixed the echo (woo!) although you will need to flash a new radio too (unless your on orange in which case you need to stay on Defrost1.8 otherwise you'll lock your phone)

Upvote 0
Hi I'm assuming they will update to 2.0a on rom manager at some point? I've made a few calls but noticed no echo at all.
Thought the video camera was working, but seems to be playing up now!

It was the people on the other end who told me about the echo. heheh

Errrm i dunno about ROM manager having the updated one, i just get it and flash it from XDA

Video camera working ok on the 2.0a build, though you do have to flash the new radio. Perhaps that's causing your camera issue?

Upvote 0
Just updated to defrost 2.0b last night via rom manager. Everything works just like standard now. I'm not looking to change again as this rom is awesome! Why the hell did I wait so long to give up on htc?

Oh yeah and on that 1.8 version I had no echo either end. Apparently the video camera not working was the last known issue that got fixed with the release of 2.0a, so maybe my timing was perfect, a snappy rom that's stable and works fully.

Reactions: kilroy
Upvote 0
+1 for the DeFrost 1.8. I was going to unroot and wait for the official FroYo release, very glad I went this way and installed painlessly with Rom Manager. Only issue is A2SD doesn't appear to be working. I have reformatted the Micro SD card using ROM Manager (512 / 0 swap file) but the option to move programs to SD is blacked out in the Applications setting. Any ideas anyone?
Cheers
Shane

Upvote 0
+1 for the DeFrost 1.8. I was going to unroot and wait for the official FroYo release, very glad I went this way and installed painlessly with Rom Manager. Only issue is A2SD doesn't appear to be working. I have reformatted the Micro SD card using ROM Manager (512 / 0 swap file) but the option to move programs to SD is blacked out in the Applications setting. Any ideas anyone?
Cheers
Shane

download and install the android sdk and in a cmd prompt (in the sdk directory) type this 'adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2'.

This wil force all app installs to go to the SD card, you will also get the option in the app manager to move to sd. Just make sure you have your widgets/launcher on the phones memory.

All this info was came fromt he second post in this thread

Upvote 0
I got my new radio from rom manager, couldn't be any easier. Just select defrost by Richard Trip. Comes up (now) with version 2.0b, and it just takes you through the whole process efforrtletlesly! Couple of options to tick like yes or no type thing and bang, your done without going anywhere near the computer. Brilliant.

Upvote 0
download and install the android sdk and in a cmd prompt (in the sdk directory) type this 'adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2'.

This wil force all app installs to go to the SD card, you will also get the option in the app manager to move to sd. Just make sure you have your widgets/launcher on the phones memory.

Ok I wasn't too fussed about apps to sd, but in for a penny and all that!
So a question, (from a noob), download the android sdk? Is that a command type window? I downloaded something the other day from the market that was basically a command window from the market, can't remember what its called just yet, but is that the same thing, could I just type those commands in that app for the same effect? I ask because the less I need to connect to the computer the better! It just gets toooooo confusing for me!;)
This is where the market is great!

Also how do I get the widgets to remain on the internal memory? I've read most of the post you put in but its like over 500 pages long!
What's the bobby
Thanks

Upvote 0
Cheers
Shane

If you have formatted your sdcard with an ext partition, then do not do anything with native froyo a2sd. The ROM will auto install everything to the ext partition.

if you have an ext partition and then ALSO select to move apps to the sdcard using froyo, you will install the app twice, once in the ext, and once in the .android_secure folder.

And that leads to problems.

You don't need to do this either, simply open up the spare parts app, and click on where to install apps, select external and you are done.

Upvote 0
Ok I wasn't too fussed about apps to sd, but in for a penny and all that!
So a question, (from a noob), download the android sdk? Is that a command type window? I downloaded something the other day from the market that was basically a command window from the market, can't remember what its called just yet, but is that the same thing, could I just type those commands in that app for the same effect? I ask because the less I need to connect to the computer the better! It just gets toooooo confusing for me!;)
This is where the market is great!

Don't worry about that, read my thread above!

Also how do I get the widgets to remain on the internal memory? I've read most of the post you put in but its like over 500 pages long!
What's the bobby
Thanks

Go into the settings > applications, click on the sdcard tab, then the app and select move to sdcard.

If you use the ext partition way of a2sd, they don't need to be moved.

Reactions: dunbad
Upvote 0
Only said that way as I had problems with app installs using spare parts so don't really want to recommend something that doesnt work 100% for me!

Horses for courses though.

Sorry ceefax, my comment wasn't aimed at you in any way. I had just got back from xda reading posts hundreds of pages long with all different methods and didn't see lekkys method once. It all looked very very confusing to me! I done his method and have gone from 60 meg spare internal memory to 87 meg which is fine by me! Everything seems to work well for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones