• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What ROm would you recommend

ukrkoz

Jul 8, 2011
Hi all

I have Droid Charge since June and already flashed it with Gingerbread few days ago.

Same time, reading around here, I found that GB is not the only "better" s/w for this phone.

I am regular user that simply wants phone to be reliable and without goofy glitches. I use it as a phone, navigator, check on emails, stream, synch with my office calendar... Basic use, though I am very impressed with potential it has. I simply want, what I use, to WORK, not to wait until it shuts itself or crashes, or hangs, and I have to do thumb dances to bring it all back to function.

What would experienced users here recommend as "the best" choice for this phone to upgrade with? I could care less for most of the widgets phone came with.

Please, keep in mind that I am not a s/w programmer, and terms like rooting and tar are still Chinese to me. Or bloated vs non-bloated. :eek:

I really like the Infinity ROM. Eclipse comes in a close second for me. But what works for me may not be what you are looking for you. I suggest heading over to Rootzwiki.com and mydroidworld.com and looking at the screenshots of different ROMs, see which ones appeal to you and read what others are saying about them.

As far as some terms
Root- gives you full access to the software of the phone, with the ability to remove things that VZW does not want you to remove. This does void your warranty.

tar- is a file type that is flashed using Odin

Odin- flashing software that uses your pc to flash custom ROMS, kernels, and recovery to the phone

Bloated- All of Verizon's and Samsung's software are included in the ROM

Non bloated- most if not all unnecessary software is removed from the ROM

Reactions: ukrkoz
Upvote 0
thank you. with weekend around the corner, I'll definitely check things out there. I am also looking into flashing my wife's Continuum, which appears to be less glitchy than Charge, but battery drains in a heartbeat. After I flashed mine with GB, battery appears to be lasting longer.

Upvote 0
I highly recommend Gummy Charge GBE 2.0. Official build finally released yesterday and its uber sexy. Lots of lock-screen options, including the Honeycomb unlocker, and as far as fluidity is concerned its slicker than snot on glass. I was running Humblecomb 4.0 prior to this, which was a good ROM but lacked a few features that I've come to love about Gummy ROMs. The latest Gummy can be found at RootzWiki.com.

Upvote 0
I highly recommend Gummy Charge GBE 2.0. Official build finally released yesterday and its uber sexy. Lots of lock-screen options, including the Honeycomb unlocker, and as far as fluidity is concerned its slicker than snot on glass. I was running Humblecomb 4.0 prior to this, which was a good ROM but lacked a few features that I've come to love about Gummy ROMs. The latest Gummy can be found at RootzWiki.com.

definitely will look deeper into this. though it looks geared towards looks, and I do not care, it also claims streaming fix, and that is one of the issues I am constantly fighting with GB, or OEM s/w I had on the phone.

Is GC GBE rooted s/w? or, in layman's words, does it void warranty? I am still considering dropping this phone completely and succumbing to I-Phone. It's a s/w trouble, just like my 2nd gen HTC Fuse. Had 3 of those under warranty, finally sold it, and went back to g'ol first gen one.

Upvote 0
definitely will look deeper into this. though it looks geared towards looks, and I do not care, it also claims streaming fix, and that is one of the issues I am constantly fighting with GB, or OEM s/w I had on the phone.

Is GC GBE rooted s/w? or, in layman's words, does it void warranty? I am still considering dropping this phone completely and succumbing to I-Phone. It's a s/w trouble, just like my 2nd gen HTC Fuse. Had 3 of those under warranty, finally sold it, and went back to g'ol first gen one.

Yes GC GBE is rooted, and flashing it "voids" your warranty. The "" are used as you can flash back to a stock out-of-the-box state and the phone will outwardly appear to be free of warranty violations. That being said, as Gingerbread is not officially released yet I would imagine that flashing that voids the warranty as well.

Upvote 0
I assumed there's difference between "official" ROMs and "unofficial", rooted ones, and that GB is official one that is simply lagged behind for release.
Is this correct, or ANY ROM that is installed ahead of official release violates warranty?

thank you

I am inclined to believe that anytime you the end user through means of your own making (i.e. non-OTA) flashes something to the phone constitutes a violation of the warranty, but I might be wrong on that. Also, FWIW, word on the street is that the current Gingerbread leak will not be what is actually pushed out OTA - there are newer things in the works it seems. I really know little of this though besides rumors and what not.

Upvote 0
ok, have Gummy as of this morning. It was an adventure to install, as it's not Odin install, but install from recovery mode on the phone. Can't tell anything yet about it. From my preferences, old Tunewiki is gone, and my free Lastfm station with it. New Tunewiki does not have it.
Otherwise - will see and know in few days.

Upvote 0
dwith, thank you for recommendation. Gummy works fine. Battery life is fine, over 60% by 6pm, disconnected from charger almost 12 hrs ago.
streaming works very well. I did not have a single drop in several days of using streaming, except in bad areas (1x)
the only thing I do not appreciate is I lost original Tunewiki with my free custom lastfm station. can not be re-done without going back to original stock. well, nothing's perfect. re-building my Pandora station.

Upvote 0
dwith, thank you for recommendation. Gummy works fine. Battery life is fine, over 60% by 6pm, disconnected from charger almost 12 hrs ago.
streaming works very well. I did not have a single drop in several days of using streaming, except in bad areas (1x)
the only thing I do not appreciate is I lost original Tunewiki with my free custom lastfm station. can not be re-done without going back to original stock. well, nothing's perfect. re-building my Pandora station.

Glad to hear it worked out for you! Well, at least mostly... no good on losing the custom lastfm station. Win some, lose some I suppose!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones